Ardour and Sitala Consistently Crashing

Greetings all,

I was using Sitala and Ardour in Ubuntu 18.04.2 for quite some time and all seemed to work well. However, I recently switched to Manjaro and now I cannot load Sitala in Ardour at all. As soon as I load it, I get a seg fault. Sitala loads and works well in stand alone and in Carla, but not Ardour. Even Carla patchbay in Ardour crashes it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

AT

Manjaro 18.0.4 KDE
Ardour from AUR

Check if sitala is using some libs that aren’t available on Manjaro, or are different versions.
You can check what libraries sitala needs with ldd

ldd library.so
Of course you’ll need to run that command in a terminal. Coz Linux :grin:

PS : replace library.so with the actual file name

I ran ldd on sitala, with the following warning coming up:

ldd: warning: you do not have execution permission for `./libsitala.so’
./libsitala.so: /usr/lib/libcurl-gnutls.so.4: no version information available (required by ./libsitala.so)

Seems like all other libraries loaded up just fine. Would it be that this warning is stopping Ardour from loading?
As I mentioned before, stand alone and carla runs fine. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

AT

try installing libcurl-gnutls
but I’d worry more about this

libgtk-3.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk-3.so.0 (0x00007f528442f000)

linking to gtk (or qt or any other big toolkit) is advised against in plugins

1 Like

I did install “libcurl-gnutls” but that warning is still present.

As for this, mine shows up with this one:

libgtk-3.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgtk-3.so.0 (0x00007fb3a2d52000)

What can be done about this?
Perhaps this is something the developer has to sort out.
I appreciate the help.

AT

Yes this is something the vendor has to sort out. Plugins should be self-contained (have no external dependencies). Otherwise you cannot mix/merge different plugins that have conflicting dependencies. Or in this case a plugin+host dependency conflict (gtk2 vs. gtk3).

Put more straightforwardly, you cannot run a plugin that uses GTK3 inside a host that uses GTK2.

Interesting,

I don’t know much about the differences between Arch and Debian, but by that logic (GTK2 vs GTK3), Ardour for Ubuntu must use GTK3. I was able to run Sitala with Ardour in Ubuntu with no problems. From the looks of it, Sitala simply cannot run as a plugin in Ardour on Manjaro. Carla and stand alone, no problem. Too bad, because Sitala was very familiar and has some quick and easy sound design functions. Anyway, thanks to everybody that shed some light to this issue. Scott from Decomposer said that perhaps Manjaro might be in the schedule for an official package release. Here’s hoping.

AT

That is incorrect. Ardour uses GTK2. The changes required to make it work with GTK3 would be substantial and wide ranging. By contrast, it is entirely possible that Sitala, as a relatively simple plugin, could be built against either GTK2 or GTK3.

In truth, no plugin should be using GTK or Qt for its GUI. These are desktop GUI toolkits and they both have versioning issues that lead to plugin/host incompatibilities. Unless you can statically link the toolkit (not possible with GTK, and hard with Qt), they should not be used by audio plugins.

The fact that Sitala can run in Ardour on Ubuntu (Officially) made it seem possible to run it on Manjaro. In my experience, Sitala is the only plugin on Manjaro that crashes Ardour on load. Perhaps hi-tech sorcery was used to get a GTK3 plugin to work on a GTK2 host. Whatever the case is, it’s always good to learn something new from the good folks here. Big thanks!

AT