ardour and linuxsampler recording more tracks

I have connected Linuxsampler to Ardour 2.8.4 and can play and record one track.
How can I record more tracks
I want to play and record every sample on a different track with linuxsampler in Ardour.
Is that possible?

sure,

all you have to do is tell linuxsampler to create a separate output for each channel. then you can connect them to individual tracks in ardour via jack (qjackctl). i have not used linuxsamper in a while, so i’m not sure where this option is, but i used to do all the configuration with a gui (like qsampler) and then start the file via linuxsampler from the commandline. maybe the channels are also allready there as individual outputs, did you check in qjackctl? all you have to do then, is reconnect the outputs from linuxsampler to the inputs from ardour in the way you want it.

hope this helps

I see the channels in ardour under the tab linuxsampler but cannot connect them right for each track.

The easiest way to connect Jack clients is through QJackCtl and the Connect button.

If you have your LinuxSampler up and running, using OSampler, you load your channels and select View/Devices from the top menu.
Click on the Audio JACK Device 0 and, on the right hand side, change CHANNELS to the number you need (say 6 for three stereo pairs, assuming you have loaded three stereo synths) and click Close (do not click Create).
Now you’ll have six Jack outputs available so edit each channel (rightclick/Setup channel) and under Audio/Output select which Device Channel each synth should use.

Now you can connect each Jack output pairs to separate Ardout tracks and record them simultaneously.

You might also try the JACK patchbay I’ve created - you can connect up any JACK clients to each other (including MIDI ports) and save and load preset routing patches. If you load a preset and the applications needed to create the patch are not running, the routes will be made automatically as or when new applications are started up. You can also set a ‘default’ routing configuration.

Thanks for the information I am using linuxdsp jack patchbay already
Why are the new channels not automatically connected in qjackctl
Ardour can see the channels immediately when I rise up the channels in linuxsampler - audio device.
But when I choose another channel then 0 or 1 there is no sound.

Jack connections are usually not made by default, since there’s no way to know how you want to connect a multi port output, like a six channel output in my previous example, to a multi port input, like a ten track Ardour session.
So you’ll have to connect the outs to the ins yourself.

As I described in my example, if you want different LinuxSampler channels to sound on different Jack ports you have to edit the LS channels and select which channel should sound on which Jack port. Then you connect those output ports to the appropriate ins in Ardour.

Oh, if you mean why you cant see the new channels (ports) in QJackCtl, that’s probably due to a bug that’s mostly fixed in 0.3.5

Sorry do you mean this in qjackctl- connect :

" Now you’ll have six Jack outputs available so edit each channel (rightclick/Setup channel) and under Audio/Output select which Device Channel each synth should use."

I don’t get “setup channel” only a popup : connect

I cannot get it work right
Where should I connect the linuxsampler channels to ?
And how to setup each linuxsampler track in Ardour ?

No, I mean that in QSampler, assuming you’re using that as a front end to LinuxSampler. If you’re using Fantasia or running LS from the command line you’ll have to look for something similar there.
I’m also assuming you’re running the latest QSampler (0.2.2) or that the interface hasn’t changed that much from the version you’re actually using.

To reiterate; in QSampler you right click on each of the Channels, select Setup channel and under Audio/Output select which Device channel each sampler should use.
See http://linuxsampler.org/screenshots/qsampler-screenshot1.png for reference; in that shot Channel 3 (Roland Juno) is outputing sound to the default Audio JACK Device 0.
So the first Channel might use Device channel 0 and 1, the second uses 2 and 3 and the third 4 and 5 (again assuming you have three stereo Channels (i.e. samplers) in the main QSampler window.

Now, in Ardour you create three stereo tracks.

In QJackCtl you click on the Connect button and you should see two panes, with the one yo the left being Output and the one on the right being Input. Like this: http://qjackctl.sourceforge.net/image/qjackctlConnectionsForm1.png
In the Output pane you’ll have LinuxSampler and if you click on the + sign it’ll drop down revealing our device channels 0 to 5.
On the right panel you click the Ardour + to show the tracks.
Now, click on the 0 under LinuxSampler and the Audio 1/in 1 under Ardour and click the Connect button at the bottom of the page and you’ll see a line drawn between them indicating that the output from Device channel 0 in LinuxSampler is being sent to one of the audio channels in the Ardour track called Audio 1.

Repeat this for the remaining outputs, connecting 1 to Audio 1/in 2, 2 to Audio 2/in 1, 3 to Audio 2/in 2 and so on.

Thanks for the good explanation.
I was using Fantasia.
Now it works.

Sorry I have setup a new linux system and now I cannot connect linuxsampler channels to the ardour tracks
seperately.

I did this :
QSampler right click on each of the Channels, select Setup channel and under Audio/Output select which Device channel each sampler should use.
So the first Channel Device channel 0 and 1, the second uses 2 and 3 and the third 4 and 5 .

Channel 0 Midi /Input Channel is ALSA and Port 0 and Channel 1 ( which is the channel on my keyboard)
Channel 1 Midi /Input Channel is ALSA and Port 0 and Channel 2

Created in Ardour three stereo tracks.

In Qjackctl connected jack output Linuxsampler :0 to jack input ardour Audio 1/1
Linuxsampler :1 to ardour Audio 1/2
Linuxsampler :2 to jack input ardour Audio 2/1
Linuxsampler :3 to ardour Audio 2/2

I can only get sound out the first channel what am I doing wrong ?
What is the right setup in each ardour track(edit -mixer)
I do not want to change the channel on the keyboard itself .

Sorry I cannot remember how I made the connections a long time ago on my old system.

Finally after some playing around I got it work again.

Just one question is it possible automatically hearing the sound of the track instrument.
Without every time changing the channel on my keyboard.

Solved by using monitor the track or choose solo (s)