ardour and jack: zombie process

Hi all. I’ve been having a problem running ardour 3.5.403 (also with previous version) under ubuntustudio 14.04 using jack 0.3.10. Sometimes if I let it sit unused for some minutes (3-10, and only sometimes), I will get an error message in ardour saying the audio engine is stopped due to a zombie process in jack (it’s behaving right now-- I’ll post the specific error when it pops up again in ardour). When I check the jack logs around this time, the likely message is:

“subgraph starting at ardour timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=34, status = 0, state = Running, pollret = 0 revents = 0x0)”

This doesn’t happen in other software running jack, so it seems to be an ardour issue. Something is timing out. It can be an issue during sessions when we stop for a few. Kind of embarassing and unprofessional. Any ideas?

jack 0.3.10

This isn’t a version of Jack, this is likely referring to QJackCTL. To get your Jack version open a terminal and type in…

jackd --version

This will output the jack version and exit. Now in as far as your specific problem, I don’t have any specific ideas off hand, other than to say problems with Ubuntu 14.04 and audio are far from uncommon at this point based off what I have seen.

Seablade

Ah, thank you! Inputting your suggestion outputs ‘jackd version 0.122.0 tmpdir /dev/shm protocol 24’. Thanks for the tip :slight_smile: