Ardour 8.8 crashing & losing recording

I installed 8.8 (from here) earlier this evening. I decided to do a bit of tracking on an overdue project I’m trying to finish. After several dry runs I laid down a perfect take and Ardour hung just as I’d finished playing, leaving a nasty sound in my headphones, before eventually crashing.

I selected “recover from crash” but the take was gone. I tried again, doing another perfect take, and it crashed again at the same spot, just after I’d finished playing. This time it crashed immediately rather than hanging for a while before crashing.

I’ve tried recording a short section (of silence, not wasting any more playing on it!) near the end of the piece to the point it crashed before and there was no crash. Another recording of silence from the original start point to the end (about 1 minute 33) resulted in a crash at the same point as before.

Repeating this test (recording ~1.33) in 8.6 worked fine, no crashing.

A couple of times, I noticed when I re-opened the session in 8.8, the No Align light was flashing but I couldn’t see anything immediately apparent in terms of internal connections that might be causing it. However, removing an internal connection caused the light to extinguish.

Test recording again in 8.8 and this time it’s recorded without crashing. Gone for a take… and it’s crashed :angry:

Check Menu Window > Log

That is bad news…
If you have a minute: https://ardour.org/debugging_ardour

The No Align light seems to be on every time I re-open the session after it’s crashed. Removing any old random connection extinguishes the light.

Looking at the log, it’s a midi drum track with sfizz on it. The connection I removed was nothing to do with that track, but it resolved the flashing light.

I’ve managed to record a take okay in 8.6 (but it’s probably crap because I’m tired and stressed now :rofl:).

It’s late now, so I’ll try to find time to debug tomorrow.

I am having this exact same issue. I rollback to 8.7. Ardour will crash after about 1 mine 30 sec of recording. Also the no align light is flashing for no reason I can find. I loose the track on crash as well. On kubuntu 24.04

On linux? And only if you record midi tracks?

For the record, my issue was with audio rather than MIDI.

I must make time to try debugging it now I’ve finished my piece

I’m having the same issue. Ardour 8.8 on AVL 21.3
Crashing when recording audio. New session created on 8.8, no plugins
I cant do a debug as i only have access to the ordinary version.
The log lamp is green before the crash. Is the log stored anywhere?

I’ve had a few attempts running Ardour with GDB (with a copy of the session I was using before) but it’s behaved itself, no crashes at all :man_shrugging: which is rather annoying.

Just here to report the same issue. crash crash crash after about 90secs, no audio left. :frowning:

I do more midi then audio but with few quick test, no crash at all. I use the openSUSE build…

Same issue here if I try to record an audio track.
@x42 no further information if I check Menu Window → Log
I opened a bug attaching the GDB file.

Thank you

This issue is believed to be fixed (see 0009810: Crash in normal and safe mode - MantisBT)

There are now 8.8.6 https://nightly.ardour.org builds, which should fix the crashes with waveform display.

Please do test.

There will be a 8.9 release shortly, and it would be nice to get as much testing as possible before messing up another release…

2 Likes

perfect, solved with this release.
Thanks

1 Like