Ardour 8.7 x-run issues

I’ve run linux 64bit on Ubuntu 22.04 with FADDO firewire to interface with my A&H ZedR16 outboard mixer. 8.6 has been solid for me but I just upgraded to 8.7 and now I’m getting x-runs to the points its unusable. On one of my larger projects which has around 40 tracks lots of plugins, midi and automation I get an x-run every 5 seconds or so where as previously no x-runs at all.

I can’t find a copy of 8.6 to revert and recheck but nothing else has changed that I’m aware of.

Can someone help me debug and give meaningful feedback on what is causing this.

There is no obvious change that would explain this. The closest is perhaps parallel Disk I/O. Try changing Preferences > Performance > Disk-I/O … Disk I/O Threads to 1 processor

Short of having an explanation, let’s see if we can narrow things down by a few basic questions…

What is in front for FFADO? JACK or Pipewire?

Is that an optimized build (not a debug version)? Menu > Help > About > Config should have (Debuggable build: False)

Is there a specific effect that causes high load? Menu > Window > PLugin DSP Load

Does the samplerate match the session’s rate (otherwise Ardour would resample adding extra load)?

Apparently I/O threads are responsible here.

Please see Ardour 8.7 - unable to connect to audio backend - #14 by x42

I just tested using the 8.7.64 demo and yes there is no x-run issues anymore.
Thank you!

1 Like