Ardour 8.7 can not load state for many regions?

This is a similar problem that appeared most recently in this thread, as well as some earlier threads, but in my case it seems more persistent. Basically it seems regions in particular session file are giving Ardour trouble since I updated to 8.7.

Here was the first error message:

Session "/home/kinari/Music/ardour/Gudi Boli - Project Files/Gudiya Nache - 112 (snapshot 112-5)" did not load successfully:
Cannot initialize session/engine: Invalid or corrupt session state.

---ERROR: Could not set session state from XML
ERROR: Session: failed to load active playlists
ERROR: Session: cannot create Playlist from XML description.
ERROR: Playlist: cannot create region from XML
ERROR: Session: cannot create Region from XML description. Can not load state for region 'Cymatics - Odyssey Crash 3.15'
ERROR: Session: cannot create Region from XML description. Can not load state for region '429539__stevysound__indian-percussion-loop-121-bpm@105.75'

The solution in above mentioned threads was to remove all references to the problematic region/source in the session file. But I did exactly this and then there turns out more and more problematic regions… I have deleted about 5-6 distinct regions from the code (few samples, a crash, a kick) and still here is the latest error message.

Session "/home/kinari/Music/ardour/Gudi Boli - Project Files/Gudiya Nache - 112 (snapshot 112-6 zombie)" did not load successfully:
Cannot initialize session/engine: Invalid or corrupt session state.

---ERROR: Could not set session state from XML
ERROR: Session: failed to load active playlists
ERROR: Session: cannot create Playlist from XML description.
ERROR: Playlist: cannot create region from XML
ERROR: Session: cannot create Region from XML description. Can not load state for region 'Cymatics - Cobra Kick 12 - B.319'

I’m worried that significant portion of my project and its arrangement/processing will be lost if I keep cutting from the session file. Is there any other root cause of the issue? Why are there so many problem regions suddenly?

Here is a dropbox folder with all the relevant files as well as tarball backup of whole session folder if needed.

Appreciate the help, thanks !

Also… it is the first project deadline since getting signed to a label (and this file is the lead single), so a bit urgent. :sweat_smile: Sorry to double post, but would really really appreciate any help guys!

I just opened it in ardour 7. Saved a snapshot, opened the snapshot in 8.7

I noticed you began the project in 6.9 - did you by any chance use an old template, or was it created from scratch in that version?

@finstapurrs I’ve manually fixed the session, matching region length to their sources.
The fixed session can be found at http://robin.linuxaudio.org/tmp/112-7.ardour

Sorry for the delay in responding here.

This is indeed caused by loading the Ardour6 session in an early Ardour 8 version where timecode conversion went wrong.

@paul looks looks like audio time here is rounded to music-time steps, and also some time-stretching causing issues (maybe same root cause?)

Region Cymatics - Cobra Kick 12 - B.319 has length a141128688@b0 which is longer than its (first?) source's length of a141125880
Region 429539__stevysound__indian-percussion-loop-121-bpm@105.75 has length a1178049048@b0 which is longer than its (first?) source's length of a1178046240
Region Cymatics - Odyssey Crash 3.15 has length a1806345220@b0 which is longer than its (first?) source's length of a1806341880
Region 56144__msarkar__dha.616 has length a73627826@a117730893774 which is longer than its (first?) source's length of a73623480
Region 56144__msarkar__dha.617 has length a220883478@a117510010296 which is longer than its (first?) source's length of a220882200
Region 56144__msarkar__dha.618 has length a73626042@a117436382470 which is longer than its (first?) source's length of a73623480
2 Likes

Solved! Yes, that makes sense, it’s a project I started a while ago (1-2 yrs) that was paused for lack of funds, hence much older version of Ardour.

Thanks so much, really appreciate it! Ardour community saved me again :heart: