Ardour 8.4 released

Ardour 8.4 is available now for Linux, Windows, and macOS. Nothing particularly significant in this release, because our two lead developers have been busy with things linked to future releases. (note: there was no 8.3 release due to a critical bug discovered after tagging 8.3).

From a project-level perspective, perhaps the most important change is that we have moved the source code of our GUI toolkit (GTK v2) into the Ardour source tree. This has no impact whatsoever on people using the builds provided at ardour.org.

However, this version of GTK is about to be deprecated by a number of Linux distributions, and without this change it will become more difficult for both individual users and Linux package maintainers to continue building Ardour. This also leaves us free to (slowly) strip down aspects of the toolkit that we do not use, and potentially modify it as needed in the future. It also means that even the distribution builds of Ardour for Linux will contain our patches to GTK, which has historically not been the case.

Meanwhile, we now have beta-level AAF import, some new MIDI device maps, a new color theme, a stack of UX/UI tweaks and several fixes for crashing and workflow bugs.

Full release notes over here as usual.

21 Likes

Does this mean native Wayland support will come in the future?

No plans to update to a newer GTK version?

No plans for Wayland support. Doing the work will get our users nothing, more or less.

2 Likes

No plans to ever move to a newer version of GTK. That work will get our users very little, and so the cost/benefit analysis says “nope”.

1 Like

I’d like to see a more flexible GUI. I mean, nowdays with big monitor, high resolutions, HiDpi screens, you should be able to arrange GUI elements as you wish. For example mixer on the left or bottom of the edit window like in Reaper.

1 Like

None of that has anything to do with Wayland or a newer version of GTK.

4k ? Still two windows not exactly the same thing. Mixer strip should scale on multi row…

I have an ultrawide monitor, 3440x1440

You asked for mixer on the left I give you mixer on the left :slight_smile:

Now you’re moving the goal posts :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Please see

–
… and then please move on to discussing the 8.4 release on this topic (which has nothing to do with Wayland or GTK or QT or screen scaling)

4 Likes

Works Great! Thank you!

1 Like

Congrats on internalizing GTK2 and resolving (hopefully) any future GTK2 problems! I wondered how you would resolve that issue! Some may not understand the significance of this change, but this change alone justifies the upgrade! Great job, guys! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:t3:

1 Like

Just would like to say thank you for all the effort and dedication.
I’m very happy with this DAW.

9 Likes

Import crashes Ardour after installing 8.4. i tried rebooting. i am running Ubuntu Studio

I’ve got bigger type on mixer strip and header buttons, automation sliders, recent file list, various other lists, group labels… There is no option to change this in the preferences, (where preferences page list and selection buttons are also affected). I’m using the Arch build.

Is there anything I can do to fix this, or is it a reportable bug?

Not reportable at ardour.org until you try out a build from ardour.org … there is a free/demo one always available.

It might be worth clarifying if you mean the new AAF import or some other import…

Does import crash when you show the file dialog?

https://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=9642