Ardour 7 Fast Lookahead Limiter is missing

I installed Ardor 7.2 on a new Linux machine.

When opening my old projects, I noticed that the “fast lookahead limiter” I was using was replaced with a placeholder.
How do I get the plugin?

I suspect it came pre-installed with Ardor 5.
Another possibility is that it was included in a Harrison bundle I purchased - but I think that’s unlikely.

It is from the swh-plugins and packages by most GNU/Linux distributions. Search your distro package archive for “swh-lv2” (or the older version “swh-plugins”).

The upstream source is

1 Like

I have little idea. Unfortunately, I can do little or nothing with the statement.
My Linux knowledge is (still) very limited.
I switched from ElementaryOS to ZorinOS.

Where can I find the distro package archive?

How do you install software packages on your distro?

As in Ubuntu.
The easiest way is via the software center.

Or via sudo apt-install in the command line.

Then search for “swh” in the software center.

or sudo apt install swh-lv2 and/or sudo apt install swh-plugins

I paid for Ardor 7.2, I got the installer
Ardor-7.2.0-x86_64.run downloaded from their website and then installed from the command line.

[quote=“Robin Gareus, post:6, topic:108164, full:true, username:x42”]
Then search for “swh” in the software center.[/quote]
Nothing found.

I will try!

YES! T H A N K S!

The first command didn’t change anything.
But “sudo apt install swh-plugins” made the plugin active again!

Thanks alot!

Can I do the same with the Overtone FC70 plugin?
I bought the license for it - even though I’ve never used it on my computer (nostalgia! I messed around with the Fairchild 20 years ago). I have the installer, but I can’t really use it.

Those plugins are not free/libre software and hence cannot be packaged by GNU/Linux distros.

You have to get them from https://www.overtonedsp.co.uk/

To (hopefully) clarify a bit, because

Most applications on Linux tend to be Free and Open Source software which can be installed using the native package manager of the distribution you are using. Think of this a bit like an app store, except all of the software is free, and most of it is included in the distribution.

The swh-lv2 plugins are an example of software which is normally packaged with most popular distributions and which can be installed directly from the package manager. These are not part of Ardour, but are compatible with it.

Some applications and utilities will be installed by default, whilst others will be optional. This will depend on the distribution.

In this case, as the swh-lv2 plugins are not installed by default on ZorinOS, so you needed to specifically install them.

There’s usually a friendly GUI interface to the package manager (e.g. “software center”) as well as a command-line one (like apt-install).

For software that isn’t supplied directly by the distribution, this is commonly installed in one of two ways:

1. Download a pre-built package which is compatible with the distribution’s package manager, and use the package manager to install. These files usually have a specific file extension like .deb or .rpm
  2. Download an installer that needs to be executed. The official Ardour distribution and Overtone plugins work this way.

Each approach has its pros and cons:

• Pre-built packages are very easy to use and will support automatic updates through the package manager, but the package files have to be built for specific environments (e.g. Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 20.04, and Fedora 37 will have different packages, which have to be specially built for those distributions).

• Installers tend to be more generic and a single installer application will work across a range of distributions, but they don’t auto-update through the package manager, and tend to be trickier to install.

Note that installers may come as a compressed archive file that needs to be extracted before they can be used. You can tell if the filename has an extension like .zip .tar .tar.gz or similar. In this case, normally, you can right-click on the file in the file manager and it will give you an option to extract the archive. Usually this creates a folder with the installer and a bunch of other files in. You can then navigate to this folder and run the installer.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.