Ardour 6.7.273 32Bit won't launch with Windows 10 64Bit

No, I never use an antivirus software.

Always an alternative browser fully updated.

And that’s all.

So a quick recap. It’s not the 32bit version but it affects all Ardour binaries, right?

Have you perhaps installed the WASAPI driver when installing ardour (optional checkbox in the installer)? if so opt-out.

Can you install the debug version from https://nightly.ardour.org (demo is fine). Then from the start menu launch “Ardour (gdb)”.

A console window shows up and arodur should launch. Now wait a bit and Ardour hangs press Ctrl+c That will give you a debugger prompt. Then in the console window type

bt <press enter>

That will show us where Ardour hangs.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks to you.

I’ll check out.

The 64 Bit version was running, when I talked about the 6.2 version.

But I installed Mixbus 6 too.
Is there a conflict possibility ?

That’s done.

Ardour won’t show.

Here is the text after typing "bt’ :

#0 0x77952aac in ?? ()
#1 0x330c1a48 in ysusb_asio32!DllUnregisterServer ()
from C:\Program Files (x86)\Yamaha\Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver\ysusb_asio32.dll
#2 0x330c17fb in ysusb_asio32!DllUnregisterServer ()
#3 0x330c40e1 in ysusb_asio32!DllUnregisterServer ()
#4 0x634ce5b0 in AsioDriverList::asioCloseDriver(int) () from C:\Program Files (x86)\Ardour6\bin\libportaudio-2.dll
#5 0x28b78834 in ?? ()
#6 0x43415520 in ?? ()
#7 0x4120382d in ?? ()
#8 0x204f4953 in ?? ()
Cannot access memory at address 0x4d4f4f5e

Seems to be a driver, which I don’t know.

As far as I can see, searching the web for this error does not show any relevant results

Do you use/need that Steingerg ASIO driver?

Maybe uninstall it, or update it (Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver Updates and Downloads | Steinberg)?

Hey, wait a minute. I remember now.

I was looking for an third alternatice USB 3.0 audio soundcard, notice the Steinberg UR816C model, and installed the driver to test the firmware updater.

I remove it, and check what happens.

Well, I uninstalled the Yamaha driver, which was the 2.0.4 (the latest for Windows).

When I launched the Ardour6 GDB program (32Bit), I get a long message with “warning: while parsing target library list: not well-formed (invalid token)” several times, and then nothing happens.

I restart Windows 10, and get the same behaviour.

Did you notice that there is an " Important information on the installation" under the USB driver Mac download link :

Here is the advertisement, in english :

Isn’t it close to the present Windows case ?

Just checking: have you tried another DAW to see if that also fails to open? REAPER 32-bit would be an easy test: http://reaper.fm/files/6.x/reaper629-install.exe

Reaper 32 Bit works fine.

1 Like

I guess it will have the same issue if you configure it to use the Steinberg driver.

No.

I can launch Reaper and select the “Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO” in Audio Driver under “ASIO” in “Audio System”.

And when reaper closes and releases the device? → DllUnregisterServer
does it crash or hang?

It does hang. Yes, it does (It hangs was “too short”).

So the problem is that Ardour tries to check devices when Ardour is started, and already trips over "Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO” then.

While Reaper only hits this issue when at exit. – Reaper wins this round :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’m not sure if we can or should work around this.

Allright.
Thank you for your support.

Cheers !

Well,

The issue was generated by a sound server global failure.

Even J.A.C.K. was not starting.

I had to make a clean install. J.A.C.K is now running.

And Ardour 6.8.119 32 Bit is now running with Windows 10 64 Bit. which means the ardour.exe main window is now showing, and initializing.

I can breathe anew.

1 Like

Any hints how you’ve solved this? – In case this comes up again in the future?

That’s great to hear!

1. I try to install Ardour 6.8.119 32 Bit, the Steinberg-Yamaha driver missing.
    But it didn’t execute.

2. Even the debug version was not executing (see below).

3. I try to execute J.A.C.K., without success.
    I was experimenting a driver issue with Jamulus, between ASIO4ALL I had to install, and J.A.C.K. not being used by default anymore in the Jamulus latest version (since 3.5.x)

4. Three version of J.A.C.K. were installed. The 32 Bit and 64 Bit 1.9.18 version, to proceed tests, plus The 32 Bit 1.9.11 old version, latest compatible version with XP (to copy and paste the connection settings, or to reproduce them quickly if necessary)

5. I know the sound audio drivers are crucial launching Ardour, making test between ASIO and J.A.C.K. by the past (since Ardour 3.x).
    I read sound drivers are supposed not to be “plug’n’play” (I don’t remember the right term), knowing issue with bluetooth audio drivers.

6. Making a new clean install was making sense, although I don’t proceed like this usually.
    In that spirit, Windows users explain in most of cases you have to install Windows OS anew. Nonsense !

7. I manage to launch J.A.C.K. this time.
    No audio sound cards were connected, because I had to manage to launch Ardour 32 Bit.
    ASIO4ALL was not installed.

8. Once a sound server was running fine , J.A.C.K. in that case, Ardour could start.
    Finally.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.