Ardour 5.12.2 don't load Biotek.so

Hello,

I 'm on Manjaro Linux (based on Arch linux), itried to install the VST pluggin “Biotek.so” from tracktion.com. but in ardour (5.12.2) it don’t appear in the plugins list ?
I have copy this plugin in :
“/usr/lib/vst”
“/usr/local/lib/vst”
“/usr/lib/lxvst/”

i added these path to VST ardour preferences, but it doesn’t work.

Do you know how i must proceed please ?
Thanks a lot.

Hmm it looks like they list ‘Tested on Ubuntu 12.04’, this worries me a bit as it may mean you are running into a GCC compatibility issue I suspect, but am not sure.

Seablade

I would expect VSTs to at least be discoverable irrespective of any GCC / libstdc issues. The most common reason for failure is something like trying to load a 64Bit plug-in into a 32Bit host (or vice-versa, depending upon whether a (64Bit) host can support loading 32Bit plugins). Also make sure you clear blacklists and re-scan - I’ve been caught by some variation of this a few times in Ardour when a plug-in works fine in other hosts. Also, if you do something like:

file /path/to/plug-in.so

at the terminal, it should provide some information about which CPU architecture it was built for etc.

Thanks for yours answers.

I have installed “waveform” (ex tracktion) and the biotek 's plugin work well on this application. I think ardour have perhaps some problème with some commercial pulgins.
If you have some other idea, i’ll take it :slight_smile:

All DAWs have problems with some plugins …

I have installed "waveform" (ex tracktion) and the biotek 's plugin work well on this application. I think ardour have perhaps some problème with some commercial pulgins.

While certainly possible, it should be noted that Ardour works with a large amount of commercial plugins without issue, including the vast majority of the ones I know of on Linux. There are specific circumstances that can cause it not to work, which were mentioned above, and Mike gave a way to test for 32/64 bit incompatibility if you followed up so we could see if that was the issue or not(Which I agree with him, 32/64 bit incompatibility is probably the larger issue here and simple to address if that is the case).

Seablade

Hi, and thanks for yours answers.
In a terminal :
file /usr/lib/vst/BioTek.so

/usr/lib/vst/BioTek.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=44445426a0815fd52ed8efc8946cfc51f1430c7f,
not stripped

But i havent enought know to understand this, sorry. If somebody can explain to me, it’s will great. Thanks

It means it is a 64 Bit plugin, so now the next question is which version of Ardour did you download and install, 32 bit or 64 bit? If 64 Bit then this isn’t the issue, and we may be back to the incompatibility I mentioned earlier, but more diagnosing would be required.

Seablade

I can get the demo of BioTek to load in Ardour 5.12 (pre-compiled from ardour.org) on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (which is the recommended OS). It doesn’t show up in the same build of ardour on 12.04 which suggests one of the - large number of - dependencies the plug-in seems to have aquired is not being met. Ardour used to provide some helpful debug information on the terminal when scanning / loading plug-ins but this now seems to be handled by a separate process which makes it more opaque. It also fails to load in Tracktion6 on 12.04.

Further testing on 12.04 indicates it fails to resolve a glibc dependency, which I would suspect implies the GCC compatibility issue seablade refered to earlier in this thread.

which version of Ardour did you download and install, 32 bit or 64 bit?
My Ardour’s version is :
“Ardour 5.12.0
“Working Backwards”
(rev 5.12)
Intel 64-bit”

I would suspect implies the GCC compatibility
And is there a solution ? sorry i’m not very strong about code.

Well, the gcc compatibility issue is a bit of a mess.

To summarize it again: if you use plugins written in the C++ programming language, they must have been built with the same version of the gcc compiler as was used to build the version of Ardour you are using. That’s why we supply versions of Ardour built with both gcc4 and gcc5. When you download and install from ardour.org, the installer figures out which one to install by looking at your system to figure out what version of gcc appears to be the system default.

So, the most likely and “simple” explanation is that Biotek is compiled with the wrong version of gcc (that is, a different version that your system default). However, if Biotek is not written in C++, then this explanation doesn’t apply and the solution/problem is different. You could try reinstalling the package from ardour.org and use the --gcc4 or --gcc5 command line flags to force the version that gets installed (i.e. ignoring the default setup of your system). But I suspect the problem is more subtle.

Many commercial plugin makers (mike@overtonedsp being a notable exception) tend not to fully understand all the issues involved in packaging their plugins for Linux … hence the sort of problem you are seeing (probably).