Ardour 4 segfaults when Calf plugin loaded

Hi,

I just downloaded and installed the latest Ardour self-extracting binary, and it looks great. But when I add a Calf plugin to a track, it crashes Ardour.

The plugins work great in the Calf host, but why is it crashing? Do I need to recompile them against the (maybe slightly) newer libs that come with Ardour? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks for all you guys do,

Fred

Hard to say without a backtrace[1], but there have been various issues with calf plugins in the past. Make sure to use at least calf 0.60.0.

Also make sure that the compiler version matches (gcc4/gcc5). Calf plugins are one of the few which are affected by this change. Ardour gcc5 versions are available from the nightly built site [2].

[1] http://ardour.org/debugging_ardour
[2] http://nightly.ardour.org/

CALF plugins have been problematic with Ardour for a long time. If you must use them, make sure you are using the versions from CALF git. This fixes a number of problems. As of Mar 2016, this version of CALF has not yet been released. Also, for people reading this who are for some reason using old versions of Ardour, be sure you are using a current version of Ardour (4.4 or newer).

Thanks. I’m running Calf 0.0.60pre5, with the latest Ardour (4.7).

I tried to follow the debugging instructions, but Ardour crashes before it can open a session when I do.

Based on what Paul said, it looks like I might have to live without it.

OK, I got the debug info via the second method. Here’s the output:

(gdb) core-file /root/core
[New LWP 6854]
[New LWP 7123]
[New LWP 6873]
[New LWP 7125]
[New LWP 6867]
[New LWP 7175]
[New LWP 6862]
[New LWP 7036]
[New LWP 7122]
[New LWP 7124]
[New LWP 7038]
[New LWP 7126]
[New LWP 6863]
[New LWP 6864]
[New LWP 6866]
[New LWP 6865]
[New LWP 6871]
[New LWP 7174]
warning: Could not load shared library symbols for linux-gate.so.1.
Do you need “set solib-search-path” or “set sysroot”?
warning: File “/lib/libthread_db-1.0.so” auto-loading has been declined by your auto-load safe-path' set to "$debugdir:$datadir/auto-load". warning: Unable to find libthread_db matching inferior's thread library, thread debugging will not be available. warning: File "/lib/libthread_db-1.0.so" auto-loading has been declined by yourauto-load
safe-path’ set to “$debugdir:$datadir/auto-load”.
warning: Unable to find libthread_db matching inferior’s thread library, thread debugging
will not be available.
warning: no loadable sections found in added symbol-file system-supplied DSO at 0xb76ea000
Core was generated by `/opt/Ardour/bin/ardour-4.7.0’.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
#0 0x00000000 in ?? ()

Does that help?

I just built the git version and installed it, but it is the same.

You need to run the command thread apply all bt inside gdn to get a useful backtrace.