ARDOUR 2 != COMPILING

scons

sh: intltool-update: command not found ./configure: line 3219: AC_DISABLE_STATIC: command not found ./configure: line 3220: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL: command not found ./configure: line 3309: syntax error near unexpected tokenGLIBMM,’
./configure: line 3309: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GLIBMM, glib-2.0 >= ${gtkmm_min_glib_version} gobject-2.0 >= ${gtkmm_min_glib_version} gmodule-2.0 >= ${gtkmm_min_glib_version})’
In file included from libs/glibmm2/glibmm/date.h:27,
from libs/glibmm2/glibmm/date.cc:3:
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/ustring.h:32:26: error: glibmmconfig.h: No such file or directory
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/ustring.h:33: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(’ token
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/date.h:119: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘&’ token
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/date.h:119: error: expected ‘,’ or ‘…’ before ‘&’ token
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/date.h:119: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘parameter’ with no type
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/date.h:334: error: ‘ustring’ in namespace ‘Glib’ does not name a type
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/exception.h:35: error: ‘ustring’ in namespace ‘Glib’ does not name a type
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/error.h:38: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘&’ token
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/error.h:38: error: expected ‘,’ or ‘…’ before ‘&’ token
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/error.h:38: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘parameter’ with no type
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/error.h:48: error: ‘ustring’ in namespace ‘Glib’ does not name a type
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:64: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘&’ token
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:64: error: expected ‘,’ or ‘…’ before ‘&’ token
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:64: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘parameter’ with no type
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:190: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘&’ token
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:190: error: expected ‘,’ or ‘…’ before ‘&’ token
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:190: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘parameter’ with no type
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:199: error: ‘ustring’ in namespace ‘Glib’ does not name a type
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:208: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘&’ token
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:208: error: expected ‘,’ or ‘…’ before ‘&’ token
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:208: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘parameter’ with no type
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:216: error: ‘ustring’ in namespace ‘Glib’ does not name a type
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:223: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘&’ token
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:223: error: expected ‘,’ or ‘…’ before ‘&’ token
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:223: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘parameter’ with no type
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:233: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘&’ token
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:233: error: expected ‘,’ or ‘…’ before ‘&’ token
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:233: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘parameter’ with no type
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:241: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘&’ token
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:241: error: expected ‘,’ or ‘…’ before ‘&’ token
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:241: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘parameter’ with no type
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:250: error: ‘ustring’ in namespace ‘Glib’ does not name a type
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:258: error: ‘ustring’ in namespace ‘Glib’ does not name a type
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:274: error: ‘ustring’ in namespace ‘Glib’ does not name a type
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.h:291: error: ‘ustring’ in namespace ‘Glib’ does not name a type
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/utility.h:82: error: ‘ustring’ in namespace ‘Glib’ does not name a type
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/utility.h:96: error: ‘ustring’ in namespace ‘Glib’ does not name a type
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/date.cc:35: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(’ token
scons: *** [libs/glibmm2/glibmm/date.os] Error 1

Ok, since you don’t, I’ll start by greeting people.
Since you don’t say either, I’ll take the guess that you’re having trouble compiling ardour2, and that you are looking for the help of some people who managed to do it.
And I will also assume that you are kind and polite enough to say something like thank you at the end of your message (I’m sure you meant it, it’s just that you forgot to write it down)

And finaly I would say that you’re having some unsatified dependency problem. Take a look at the intltool package. And check your auto tools…

Don’t take it personally. My problem with his style is that ARDOUR 2 != COMPILING is bad syntax (assuming C, C++). Also, ARDOUR_2 != COMPILING says “Ardour 2 does not equal to compiling,” which is comparing apples and oranges. He should have said !compile(ARDOUR_2).

Although he obviously doesn’t have a good C/C++ background, I think it’s worthwhile to tell him that whenever a C compiler spills out syntax errors (“error: expected … before … token”), it suffices to look at the very first error, which is “error: glibmmconfig.h: No such file or directory.” The idea is that an error confuses the compiler, and it doesn’t make sense to look at error messages generated by a compiler when it is confused.

And the reason why glibmmconfig.h is not there is because ./configure failed at line 3309, which is because autoconf doesn’t know how to expand the macro PKG_CHECK_MODULES. The reason of this is because aclocal did not put macro expansion in aclocal.m4. The only explanation is that “pkgconfig” is outdated or not installed.

In that case, it might also be a good idea to file a bug report to scons, telling them they should check the existence of PKG_CHECK_MODULES macro before they generate a configure.ac.

A short summary to the above: check “pkgconfig” (and definitely “intltool”, as suggested).

One more thing. I just noticed that macros AC_DISABLE_STATIC and AC_PROG_LIBTOOL are also not present, so one should check “libtool” as well.

Wow, this is some considerable nitpicking on my title, which was just a little joke. I’ll say !B_IS_COMPILING.

I actually have programmed in C++ quite a bit, using virtual functions, inheritance, unions, and lots of other beyond-beginner parts of the language, although never had a pragma or inserted any ASM, I’ll admit. And that was in the late 90’s, so I’m certainly rusty. I just don’t know why you’d make such an assumption, or even get into such archane details of my speech, when the issue is my compiling problem.

I certainly looked at the errors the compiler spit out, but I don’t know why there’d be an unexpected token. Remember, I didn’t code the thing, and I don’t even really know what pkg-config does. I’m no Linux or packaging expert. I’m just a musician trying to get some help compiling a program.

Thanks for the help.

HE LOVED BIG BROTHER

What function does an arbitrary convention like saying a phrase like “hello” serve? What information does it convey? I can understand a “thank you” to someone who’s helped me, for sure.

HE LOVED BIG BROTHER

All the things you mention, such as pkg-config and intl-tool and all of that ,is installed from ubuntu packages. i guess i’ve just got some weird problem that isn’t very common. thanks for the help.

HE LOVED BIG BROTHER