Ardour 2 and JACK on OS X 10.5.4 (PPC)

Hello all,

I have been using Ardour 2 on an Intel MacBook OS X 10.6.8 with a Sound Devices USBPre2 for a while. This has been working fine, but I’m worried that the hard drive might be about to die on that machine. I have a project in Ardour 2 I want to get finished. I have installed the PPC version of Ardour 2 and JACK 0.89 on a second machine running OS X 10.5.4.

JackServer won’t start. Looking through the verbose Console output it looks like the problem is that the USBPre2 is being recognised as ‘device = 260 input=0 output=2’ and also ‘device = 258 input=2 output=0’. There is a line that says ‘isAgreggateDevice’ for each of these. There is, unsurprisingly, no line that says ‘isDuplexDevice’ – though the PCI-424 card in this machine does have this line. Lower down there are a couple of lines that say ‘Jack: Input device does not have subdevices’ and ‘Jack: Output device does not have subdevices’. Then there is a lie saying ‘Jack: JackCoreAudioDriver::CreateAggregateDevice : AudioObjectSetPropertyData for sub-device list error’ and a line saying ‘Jack: error code : kAudioHardwareBadObjectError’. There are also a couple of lines saying ‘JP: getDeviceUIDfromID: name = AppleUSBAudioEngine:Sound Devices:USBPre2:4b100000:1’ and ‘JP: getDeviceUIDfromID: name = AppleUSBAudioEngine:Sound Devices:USBPre2:4b100000:2’.

If anyone could help me get JACK and Ardour running that would be fantastic, or alternatively point me to somewhere else where I could get help with this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Well, you could try a recent Ardour4.7 from http://nightly.ardour.org/ that can use coreaudio directly (no jack needed)

I would recommend making an extra backup just in case first:) Even though I believe Ardour will do this as well, it is always a good idea.

Should work, but always better to be on the cautious side.

Seablade