Ardour 2.8.5 released

Ardour 2.8.5 has been released. Although I had hoped that the next release would be an alpha version of 3.0, we have accumulated too many critical bug fixes and a few nice to have features to let 2.8.5 wait any longer. OS X users of Ardour are STRONGLY recommended to immediately upgrade to fix a number of nasty problems that should now be gone. Similarly, anyone using MIDI control surfaces with a "Stop" transport button should upgrade NOW to avoid data loss when recording and using that button.

General

• MMC (and other remote control protocols) no longer causes Ardour to discard recorded material when stopping transport.
  • fix latency compensation when punching in (which was a regression in 2.8.2)
  • fix crash when loading a session with certain kinds of crossfades
  • fix "crashes" caused by an endless loop of events related to the editor track "big text cursor"
  • don't cause clicks and/or possible plugin problems when editing while the transport is stopped
  • load plugin presets at the right time
  • an implementation of "Save As" (result is still saved within the session folder)
  • new option in editor track list context menu to show only tracks that have regions under the playhead
  • initialize the export folder name correctly
  • initialize system template folder name correctly
  • fixes for 64 bit build with some versions of gcc (ensures that assembler optimizations will be used)
  • plugin "favorites" file format modified for portability. We are sorry that you will lose your list of favorites (and/or hidden plugins) after upgrading.
  • updated translations for Italian, Russian, Swedish, Norwegian

OS X only

• fix potential (and observed) crash in AudioUnit plugins caused by Ardour's incorrect setup of data buffers
  • fix crash when using AudioUnit plugins that use tempo/meter information from Ardour
  • fix discovery of AudioUnit factory presets
  • reimplement integration with the OS X main menubar
  • make all shortcuts work (Ardour used to ignore many or most Alt/Option- combinations)
  • fix issues with the cache of AudioUnit configuration data, and ensure that the file can be safely updated in the future.
  • fix display of AudioUnit GUI's written in Carbon (no more "white windows of death")
  • make international language support work on OS X (Ardour will try, and generally succeed) to follow the preferences you specify in System Preferences).

Contributors

Ben Loftis, Lincoln Spiteri, Paul Davis

Translators

Valerio Orlandini, Emanuele Costantini, Alexandre Prokoudine, Petter Sundlöf, Eivind Ødegård

I’ve always wanted to be first at something.

Well done !

just downloaded, and in the process of compiling and debianizing it. I can’t wait, as it’ll probably be even more stable than the 2.8.4 release :slight_smile: !

@tbonedude: the VST error has been fixed in svn :frowning:

working now paul :), Thanks for fixing the problem so quickly!

PS. I posted my above comment BEFORE I had the vst error.

just great work!!!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaarty!

Simple prove of God: “Save As”-Button in Ardour.

Hail to the big Spaghetti-Monster!

Long Live King Paul!

@jonobo: if you just knew what this did, you’d be a militant athiest by sundown :slight_smile: