Ardour 2.8.12 and AU virtual instruments

Hello everybody,

Basically, I have a little problem. I use Ardour live for backing tracks, now I bought Omnisphere (one of (the best of) AU virtual instruments, that don’t work in Ardour 2 because of MIDI, afaik) and gig is next saturday, so I have to get it work together somehow. What I’d needed is to host Omnisphere in Ardour, I need to send time and tempo to this plugin, and then connect sound channels back to Ardour, so I can control all the levels from Ardour. If there is no way to host it natively, I’d also use some AU host or something as a “middle layer”, while the Ardour 3 isn’t ready for Mac. I just need to get it work ant get it in sync somehow, so any ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks

@wildfireheart: Ardour 2.8.12 does not support MIDI instruments of any kind. You’d have to use a standalone AU host and connect it to Ardour via JACK (specifically, the JackRouter that comes with JackOSX). You won’t get any kind of time sync, because nothing in CoreAudio/CoreMIDI defines such an abstraction.

Ardour3 now builds and runs on OS X and AU instruments appear to be fully functional (I’ve tested about 8 of them). Not sure when we’ll release beta1, but as previously stated, there will be an OS X bundle.

Ok, so the only solution I see now would be, that some good soul would send me an compiled and bundled app of latest Ardour 3 (Alpha or SVN, doesn’t matter), in case someone has it already compiled for intel, 'cause I really can’t compile it for myself now. It was quite stable on Linux, so I guess it would work for me next weekend. I would be really thankful for that. Or I’ll have to wait for the official release of beta, and find some other solution in the meantime, have no idea how.

PS: Thanks for reply Paul. I really appreciate the work you are doing, in fact, Ardour is my favorite DAW for performing live. I wish I had more money to support you one day. I’m studying now, so I can’t subscribe much, but I do what I can. I hope you’ll get even more support in the future, Ardour is becoming a really extraordinary thing in the world of music. Take care

Hi friends,

maybe this question is too easy to resolve, but i’m a total beginner. (excuse my english, i’m spanish)
I have a macbook pro and the last version of ardour.

FIRST question:

I’m new with Ardour, but i don’t know how can I open AU plugins in it, or VST also.

I try with insert plugin, and my freeware AU or VST doesn’t appears in the list, only reaktor FX ( that I download from native instruments player free.)
for example plugins such as Tal Bassline, or Freealpha…

I don’t know if It’s a problem of the AU, VST plugins installation folder.

SECOND question:
another problem i have is to sync hydrogen drum soft with ardour, when i start jackos, and later hydrogen they shows me a message about error on connection. i don’t know how configure hydrogen to work with ardour.

thanks

sorry if it question is answered somewhere in the forum.

sorry i run ardour 2.8.16

@joselbainc

You really should start a new thread, but since you are in this thread, I assume you are on OS X…

On the topic of TalBassline or other synths from earlier in the thread…

Ardour 2.8.12 does not support MIDI instruments of any kind. You'd have to use a standalone AU host and connect it to Ardour via JACK (specifically, the JackRouter that comes with JackOSX). You won't get any kind of time sync, because nothing in CoreAudio/CoreMIDI defines such an abstraction.

I believe Hydrogen has issues with Jack sync (at least on os x) iirc, but could be wrong. I seem to remember this being an issue in the past, the best way on A2 seems to be to get Hydrogen transport to roll at the same time as Ardour and record the output, can’t remember the easiest way off hand to do this.

Seablade