Ardour 2.4.1 released

Yes, its time for the usual bug-fix-after-the-real-release. 2.4.1 primarily fixes two significant bugs in 2.4 (no undo after region dragging being the most important). But it also has a couple of new features and several other nice fixes and improvements, particularly for users of AudioUnit plugins on OS X.

You can get the source tarball or head over to the ardour-osx IRC channel to get information about native OS X releases. There is an X11 (universal) download too.

Changes since 2.4

• new "Insert Time" operation (see the Track menu)
  • fix problems with port insert I/O configuration
  • clocks used for duration start at 0|0|0 in BBT mode, not 1|1|0
  • audio file suffix detection is now case-insensitive
  • fix missing undo/redo for region drags
  • fix problems with dragging in Locked Edit mode
  • rename menu items for monitoring options, and make the one based on JACK insensitive if there are no JACK ports capable of being monitored in that way
  • make plugin latency compensation work for AU's
  • fix incorrect muting of regions when auditioning a crossfade
  • add a declicking fade at start and end of any audition
  • fixes for window sizes of AU plugin GUIs,
  • fix "hidden AU GUI shows up when app becomes active/focus again" bug
  • new LevelMeter class used for all meters

Contributors: Paul, Doug Mclain, Sakari Bergen, Ben Loftis

hey rich, i am not sure about the jog wheel, though the arrow keys on your keyboard operate in a similar fashion. yes many would agree that the plugins look plain, however sound is sound not something you see - are you familiar with jazz mutant lemur?? - plain gui - i would use it in a second. GFX aren’t at the top of the list(i think anyway). there also is a hightlight and loop option for some reason after 2.4 was released they are now hidden in a menu - THEY ARE THere, im just at work and can’t check right now.

seeing more plugins that make sound is key, synths and drums.

Keep the plugins plain, please. You can’t hear fancy graphics (apart from their adverse impact on system performance), and there are few things more awkward than trying to turn a picture of a knob with a mouse. I find many proprietary plugins look pretty but are almost unusable for doing any real work. The Ardour plugins were a revelation, and they’re the first plugins I’ve liked enough to use regularly instead of hardware.

i 2nd that, gfx have very little to do with production. they suck up resources, and rich if you want knobs - then use physical hardware. myself i hate knobs on my plugins - they aren’t condusive for editing only for looking pretty and emulating a real box. pointlessness.

New Ardour screenshot?

What about updating the frontpage srceenshot of Ardour, so new users can see how draemily nice this DAW has become during the last couple of releases?

Super :slight_smile:
great, many many thanks for your excellent work.

But a little question?
Would it be possible to make the BBT Display configurable to display ( 0 | 0 | 0 ) or ( 1 | 1 | 0 ) As a human I think 1 1 0 is much better and more logical. For a mashine maybe 0 0 0 is better. But as a human I count 1 2 3 4 … and not 0 1 2 3 | 0 1 2 3 …

anyway :slight_smile: ardour realy rocks!!

the 0|0|0 mode is only used when a BBT clock is measuring a duration, not marking time. eg. the smallest duration is zero, which is 0|0|0, not 1|1|0. when clocks are used to mark time, they start at 1|1|0 as you suggest.

ok, now I understand… that is very good. Thank you for this description!

Hi my name is Rich and I am with Puppet Truth, and am working on my fourth CD. I am currently using Logic to do my projects but would love to switch over to Ardour. My problem with Ardour is 1. It doesn’t have a jog wheel. 2. The Plugins are way too plain (Would love to see familiar dial plugins). 3. (and most importantly) Really feel that Ardour needs to have a highlight and loop option like Logic. Because it aids the composer write.
The problem with a lot of recording apps is the tendency to put the artist through hell as he tries to work. Not a good thing as simplicity counts in terms of working on music. The last thing a person writing wants to deal with is a less than intuitive program that distracts the composer by making them think while working!

Love the sound and am learning it as a editor but really want it as a multi track application.
Also would love to see some great sounding drum machine apps as well!

These things would for sure revolutionize Ardour! Thank you for your time- Richard S Holler
Puppet Truth

Hi my name is Rich and I am with Puppet Truth, and am working on my fourth CD. I am currently using Logic to do my projects but would love to switch over to Ardour. My problem with Ardour is 1. It doesn’t have a jog wheel. 2. The Plugins are way too plain (Would love to see familiar dial plugins). 3. (and most importantly) Really feel that Ardour needs to have a highlight and loop option like Logic. Because it aids the composer write.
The problem with a lot of recording apps is the tendency to put the artist through hell as he tries to work. Not a good thing as simplicity counts in terms of working on music. The last thing a person writing wants to deal with is a less than intuitive program that distracts the composer by making them think while working!

Love the sound and am learning it as a editor but really want it as a multi track application.
Also would love to see some great sounding drum machine apps as well!

These things would for sure revolutionize Ardour! Thank you for your time- Richard S Holler
Puppet Truth

I couldn’t find Ardour 2.4 in Ubuntu Heron’s repos. Is it not available??

vikarama,

Here is a package for Hardy Heron, The regular Ubuntu repos are usually several versions behind.

http://www.getdeb.net/category.php?id=1