Ardour 2.3 on Ubuntu Hardy - 100% cpu

hi,

unfortunately the code seems to be incomplete. There is at least a closing
tag missing, but much more. Could you check this? The xml is invalid if it’s not complete and Ardour cannot read it.

Have you considered asking for real time help on irc?

Benjamin

whoooooooooops!

Sorry! What’s missing here is a good version of Opera! It only shows me a part of the page, firefox is working…

ok, forget my last posting, it’s complete. I’ll have a look at the file.

Benjamin

First impression:

Works normal. I have 1 GB Ram and a 2 GHz AMD Athlon and have about 5 % cpu usage. Of course I don’t have the wav files, but the rest project loads. I only tells me about a missing plugin (“1767”), but I don’t think it matters.

Ok, some more things to do:

1. try to play with somewhere like Options -> Denormals (but I see you have already enabled an option… maybe another?

2. Upgrade to 2.4.1
    (adding
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/spacepluk/ubuntu hardy main
    to /etc/apt/sources.lst should do it)

see
http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com/msg01897.html

1. check realtime mode - how do you start jackd? Via the Ardour dialog, or via qjackctl?
    how is your /etc/limits.conf looking?

2. for all this step-by-step, better enter
    #ardour at freenode :slight_smile:
    http://ardour.org/support

Benjamin

Thanks for all that. Have upgraded to 2.4.1 now. I seem to have put my finger on something - when I start jackd via qjackctl, the same problem recurs (though it takes more time before the 100% cpu now). However, when I start via the Ardour dialog, no problem - quick and clean. The problem is that I need to sync up Ardour with sequencers and software synths (Rosegarden) in particular and I’m pretty sure I need a qjackctl interface to do that. Is this a recognized problem with qjackctl, and if so, where can I get information on it?

I’ve tried all the denormals settings and none of them seem to make much difference. I don’t have an /etc/limits.conf - should I? I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be looking for in “realtime mode”.

Hi doloras,

great! If everything works fine when using the Ardour - audio dialog, it’s propably gotta to with some qjackctl configuration (great because we are getting closer to resolve this completely).

You don’t have to change anything in Ardour now, because the problem seems to be before Ardour. The realtime file might be in /etc/security/limits.conf, but this does not matter anymore, because if there would be something wrong, it wouldn’t work with the Ardour audio dialog either.

So now we should check the configuration of qjackctl. Normally, qjackctl saves a file called “.jackdrc” to your home directory (hidden because of the dot). Do you find this file? Could you post the content of it here? It’s propably only 1 line.

Ardour should save it’s audio configuration to “.ardour2/ardour.rc”. This one is abit longer, but could you also post the content here? We need the part between
AudioSetup
/AudioSetup
but you could also post the entire file.

Which version af qjackctl do you use?

Cheers,
Benjamin

I’m using qjackctl 0.3.2-1ubuntu1. I should note that it’s working a little better since I ticked “No memory lock” in Jack setup. Now I can run Ardour and Rosegarden in sync with a hardware synth - barely (CPU still at or near 100%). But Ardour plus Rosegarden plus software synth is still impossible.

.jackdrc contents as follows:

/usr/bin/jackd -R -m -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n2 -s -Xseq -zs

.ardour2/ardour.rc contents as follows (angle brackets changed to square brackets):

[AudioSetup]
[periods val=“2”/]
[priority val=“60”/]
[ports val=“128”/]
[inchannels val=“0”/]
[outchannels val=“0”/]
[inlatency val=“0”/]
[outlatency val=“0”/]
[realtime val=“0”/]
[nomemorylock val=“0”/]
[unlockmemory val=“0”/]
[softmode val=“0”/]
[force16bit val=“0”/]
[hwmonitor val=“0”/]
[hwmeter val=“0”/]
[verbose val=“0”/]
[samplerate val=“48000Hz”/]
[periodsize val=“1024”/]
[serverpath val="/usr/bin/jackd"/]
[driver val=“ALSA”/]
[interface val=“C-Media PCI DAC/ADC”/]
[timeout val=“Ignore”/]
[dither val=“None”/]
[audiomode val=“Playback/Recording on 1 Device”/]
[inputdevice val=“C-Media PCI DAC/ADC”/]
[outputdevice val=“C-Media PCI DAC/ADC”/]
[/AudioSetup]

I hope it’s not anything to do with the budget soundcard I’m using at the moment while I save up for a pro-quality one.

Hi,

I see 2 main differences between the Ardour audio setup and qjackctl configuration:

1. In qjackctl, you use 44.1 kHz sample rate, in the Ardour audio setup you use 48 kHz
  2. The Ardour audio setup does not start jackd in realtime mode whereas qjackctl does.

Activate “Realtime” under the option tag and set the sample rate to 44.1 kHz in the device tag, then start your session and report if it’s again at 100% cpu.

Please have a look at /etc/security/limits.conf (or search your system for a limits.conf file). At the end of the file, there should be some lines without a “#” in front of. Post them here.
Then, type “groups” into a terminal (as normal user) and give us the output here.

Benjamin

Selecting 44.1 kHz and realtime in Ardour audio setup actually makes things a bit better - I can play comfortably at a latency of 512, which I couldn’t before. But as stated, I need qjackctl, or some other way to sync with Rosegarden, Hydrogen etc.

From /etc/security/limits.conf:

@audio - rtprio 99

@audio - memlock 512000

And:

Sebastienne:~$ groups
root adm lp dialout cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev scanner netdev lpadmin powerdev admin

Benjamin, thanks for posting the repository for 2.4.1. I’ve been banging my head against a wall trying to find the info from the Ubuntu forums. That was a real help. :slight_smile:

Casey Shultz

SciFi Surplus
News, Talk, Geeks and Fun!
http://scifisurplus.com