Anyone using Apollo Twin Mk II on Linux?

Is anyone using an Apollo Twin Mk II on Linux? If so, what kernel version?

I’m looking to purchase one but I use both Windows and Linux and I know UAD doesn’t officially support Linux.

I don’t plan on using any UAD plugins while on Linux as I know these won’t work. All I need to work are the main outputs and the mic inputs.

I haven’t been able to find anything on Google. I asked on Gearslutz and they suggested I try the Ardour forums, so I’m hoping someone here can clear the air.

Thanks!

Yeah, I haven’t been able to find any indication that it might work on Linux. There could very well be another interface out there that fits my needs, but the pickins seem to be slim based on the searching I’ve done and my budget / needs. Maybe I just need to look harder… but man the Apollo sure does come real close to fitting the bill nicely.

Thanks for taking the time to check and reply, really appreciate any help I can get on this.

It is a pretty safe bet that it is not Linux compatible. I have not heard of any TB interface succesfully running on Linux. Your best bet is to look for a ‘USB 2.0 Class Compliant’ device. If OSX does not require driver or it can run on iOS, that is a good indicator that the hardware will function on Linux. Any included software, such as programs that control internal mixers, are unlikely to work.

what works very well are the old hdsp series from hammer fall with an express card to thunderbolt adapter. see here:
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html

hammer falls cards are well supported on linux and OS X and can be had for cheap these days.

Yeah but all those mundane HDSP things don’t have “Mythical Unison preamps”, “Swanky UAD plugins” and “24-bit/192kHz capabilities”, and no big knob with LEDs all around it.
Read: seems to me an awful lot of bread for what the thing does…

Even if that device works on Linux (it might if it has USB audio class compliance), you will not be able to use most of what you’re paying for from Linux. There is no support for any of the DSP functionality from Linux, all of which requires some combination of custom device drivers and/or platform-specific plugins (which are mostly proxies for stuff actually running on the Apollo, but make it appear that it is all integrated into the plugin host).

1 Like

I suspected this. What about them Antelope DSP interfaces? similar problem?

You’d have to ask Antelope but I’m fairly sure that the answer is yes. It doesn’t hurt to ask, so that these companies gain some awareness that there are people who want to use their products with Linux, but I suspect the outcome will not be to your liking.

1 Like

Yes your right, that’s exactly what I’m going to do.

Thanks your speedy response.

P.S. I love Ardour by the way, coming from Presonus Studio One Pro on Mac OSX.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.