Almost Ready to Leave Home

Ardour began its life 18 years ago, in late December 1999. The story has been told many times in many different places, but the gist of it is that I wanted a program something like ProTools that would run on Linux, and none existed. I decided to write one. I had little idea what would be involved, of course. Which was probably for the best, otherwise I would likely not have started.

Recently, while clearing out old paperwork from my office, I found myself reading some old issues (2001-2003) of the generally excellent magazine, Sound on Sound.They give a pretty good idea of the state of DAW technology at that time as well as other stuff like sampling, sequencing and so forth, which at that time were somewhat separate from the core functionality being offered by DAWs.

It occured to me that Ardour has actually managed to reach the goals I set out back in 2000. It is a capable DAW capable of doing the vast majority of the things people were doing with this kind of program around the start of a new millenium. Not suprisingly, that's still a substantive part of what people are doing now with DAWs in general even at the end of 2017.

There are some things that we were actually doing long before other DAWs. Anywhere-to-anywhere routing is something we more or less pioneered, and has now become common. A truly flexible mixer architecture (whose flexibility is sometimes its downfall). Support for different solo models. Even today press releases for new versions of several proprietary DAWs will regularly mention things that Ardour has done for more than a decade. Oh well - the point is not to gloat over this kind of thing, since there are plenty of things that Ardour doesn't do. The point is to note that the initial goals have largely been satisfied.

In fact, they've been more than satisfied, because Ardour also became a truly multi-platform project (running on Linux, MacOS (nee OS X) and Windows. It also gained some level of support for MIDI workflow, not to mention the video timeline.

Ardour has also served as the basis for two or three "commercial" projects - Harrison Mixbus, Waves Tracks Live (and the likely short-lived Radar Session software). We've somehow developed a way to raise significant (though not substantial) income every month, despite the program remaining under the GPL license. Nobody needs to pay for Ardour, but lots and lots of people choose to do so. These are no small accomplishments.

There were other, somewhat meta-goals too. I wanted Ardour to serve as an example (not a template or a toolbox) for other people to learn how to write a DAW. I doubted that we'd get everything right, but that at least compared to the situation in 1999, when there was no open source DAW suitable for use as a ProTools-like system, Ardour has truly fulfilled this idea. I suspect that Justin Frankel didn't take a lot of inspiration from Ardour's source code when he started writing Reaper, but it was fun having him on our IRC channels for a while as he got started with that project. Ardour has also attracted the involvement of nearly 50 skilled developers over the years, a dozen or so of whom have played major roles in the design and implementation of the program. A couple have even gone on full time paid jobs working on audio technology.

It wouldn't be completely unreasonable, after 18 years of development and having reached the level of features that Ardour now has, to consider it done, at least in some senses. It is true that we have a huge list of 2000+ bugs that remain open in our bug tracker. Our MIDI workflow has lots to complain about, and there are some glaring software design errors that users can see if they insist on trying some not-that-crazy stuff (e.g. working on MIDI versions of Phillip Glass pieces).

Still - people use it. Somebody starts Ardour up somewhere in the world at least every 3 minutes or so. Some of our users rave about in comparison to other DAWs. You can make albums with Ardour. Record live gigs. Basically do all the things I imagined back in December 1999.

But are we done? Absolutely not. In my next post, I'll outline some of the directions that I personally imagine Ardour going in during 2018 and beyond.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for all those years of work, Paul & the Gang! I quit using Windows in 1998 at the age of 18, with KDE1 Beta1 coming up. Then I slowly drifted from computer nerdery to music. Linux stayed, other systems drive me more crazy. I found Ardour – I think – in 2005 oder 2006. The development it has undergone is stunning. It would probably be the first piece of software I’d install on any other OS.

One thing that remains for me is not really your task: to convince more plugin manufacturers to go for LV2 or LinuxVST. As I bring it up myself, I will contact Voxengo once again on this topic.

Great post, it’s lovely to hear about the past and future of the project. Very excited for things to come and will definitely continue supporting the project

Well done!

I’m sorry but I don’t understand you. Do you leave the boat ?

Do you leave the boat ?
No, I think Paul is referring to the fact that Ardour is nearly 21 years old, which in in some cultures is (or was) the age at which the boy is considered a fully grown man and "leaves home". Paul doesn't seem to be giving up on Ardour, though the headline had me worried for a moment :-)

okay :slight_smile:

Don’t give up

Thank you Paul for this read. Ardour was for me crucial to start working professional on sound as a freelancer, and it was crucial for me to be able to leave windows behind in 2008 and go linux. this was only possible for be because of ardour. in these 10 years I mixed all my own projects and countless Jobs on music and film on ardour.

Thanks Paul and everyone moving this fantastic project forward.

My main DAW is Mixbus32C and I’m using Ardour for live and mobile recording. Looking forward to have Ardour in my toolbox for many years to come. Again: -Thanks! :slight_smile:

–Jostein

hey Paul, very cool post. I have recently switched to Ardour and i absolutely love it. I love the sound of it. I know most people will disagree with me but i can actually hear that it sounds different than logic and protools. It sounds more authentic and less effected by the digital processing. I love the transparency of it. I have said this on the main channell chat and they all said i was nuts but i stand by my word. anyway, i think its a great program and the spirit of the community is amazing. keep up the great work. i cant wait to see where you take it.

Really nice feelings and rememberings come, reading that post Paul. Thanks, for Ardour of course, but for those kinds of shared thoughts sometimes online too.

Not first in mind, but significant enough to be mentionned first for people who doesn’t take time to read long posts : you don’t have to play in the land of money to live in dignity (e.g. see your lil’ girls go to school, eat, pay all invoices, whatever you decide to do…)

First in mind: if you want it, REALLY, you can do it. A message to you (PLUS a private joke for Paul & Robin)), young people around here: please take a time to think about it, it’s Freedom that that man is talking about when he takes some time to tell Ardours’ story :wink:

Though, not sure about what is in 1st position or else, and not sure if it’s required to be 1st… Hum, not sure at all that competition is a good thing “pantoute”, so be the 1st one you know…

I was not one of the first Ardours’ users, have launched it in 2006. But have shared some online with some “gurus”, cause those guys are cool you know, and they lead you on the good tracks if you’ve read before how they have to be questionned…

Haved tried many things with Linux, many blank screens W/“try to be Linus”. And, have been frustrated many times W/ tried to compile Ardour. It’s not my job, you know, just want to play music!!

Now, no one needs to go to command line.
Some continues to do it, and it’s requiered to see the eco-system evolve…
But now, anyone can download for free (as in mind, AND/OR as in beer, everyone can make own choices) AVLinux or any audio-prod distro, and record/mix/etc… in a moment.

That’s exactly what people around the world have to thank Paul (and others he have inspired) for.
That’s what I’m doing here, respectfully.
Thanks Paul.

I second DrNI’s desire to encourage more developers to support LV2. Sometimes I’ll send an email to the developers of a plugin I’d like to use. I rarely hear back, and most of the time the answer is “no.”

MIDI on Ardour is ahead of some other MIDI programs on Linux. I love Ardour’s ability to automate MIDI synths capable of LFO/ENV/VCA/DCA/etc. automation. Pat yourself on the back for that.

Cheers and here’s to many more. :slight_smile:

Paul, still at it… I think I’ve been on this ship since 1999, well, since version 0.98 (iirc) for sure. But - to be honest - I also think I couldn’t use anything else. Where other DAW’s would charge an arm and a leg (some charge a kidney too), you never asked anything up to the point where Ardour became your main job - and that’s working out great as well.
I am using Ardour because I don’t know anything else. I used Cubasis way long before that, but it only talked MIDI back then; audio was reserved for Ensoniqs.
I’m still hooked to Ardour. It is a fine working product. It serves my needs by far. It is just great, just… great.
Any fellow musician I encounter, I tell them about Ardour. They don’t know it. Never heard of it. They can’t believe a DAW that doesn’t cost like half a mille at least, can cut it to a real album… Well, I delivered 6 already, seventh is being recorded right now. I hear a lot of kudos about the quality of the mixing. I tell them it’s Ardour… they still don’t know it.

Paul, Seablade, Robin, all the rest of the staff, thank you… for making a product that lives by such high standards, for a product support beyond anything I have ever encountered in my life, for making my musical hobby a dream coming true. Keep this spirit up. You’re all writing the code of humanity here.

Not sure I can be included in that list, especially lately;) But the sentiment is appreciated

Seablade