I’m new to Ardour and trying to learn how to record a midi input from the track’s own provided keyboard. Eventually I would like to connect the MIDI track input to Musescore’s midi output through jack, but I am not quite there yet.
My current problem is that the midi events I record disappear as soon as I stop recording and the track turns empty again. Here is what I did:
- Start with an empty session (with jack running)
- Create a new midi track with the fluidsynth instrument
- Choose a grand piano instrument from the fluidsynth plugin window
- Arm both the track and Ardour (in the Transport bar)
- Check that the instrument is active and Midi works by clicking on the track’s virtual keyboard and hearing sound
- Start recording by hitting the space bar
- Hit some keys on the virtual keyboard and observe the events being put on the track
- Stop the recording with the space bar and see all midi events vanish from the track!
What am I doing wrong?
I have checked that I can record on audio tracks from my microphone. It is only MIDI recording that fails.
I looked in the reference manual but the MIDI recording section is incomplete, as is the Ardour tutorial. I found a YouTube Ardour/Midi tutorial for Ardour 3, but didn’t find anything different from what I am doing.
Help greatly appreciated.