Alesis Multimix 4 issue

I am running Ardour 2.8.16 for Linux on Ubuntu. I got my Multimix 4 recognized by the computer and it can send and recieve sound and works with Audacity, but I can’t seem to make it work with Ardour - though I had it running up till yesterday on the same computer until I formated my HD and reinstalled the OS. I’ve tried some solutions via Jack on Ubuntu forums and have yet to find any success.

Thanks.

So why did you destroy a perfectly good working system?

I was having a lot of issues, not related to Ardour, so I backed up my files and wiped it. It was the only solution I could come up with.

if it works with audacity it implies the alsa drivers are working, so JACK should also work (Ardour2 doesn’t know or care about audio interfaces, it just needs to connect to JACK, and JACK will just work with ALSA). Be careful of things like pulse audio screwing things up, but also make sure JACK is using the correct audio interface if you also have onboard audio for example. If you use something generic like “hw0” its possible that you can fall foul of a uniquely useful design feature which allows linux to randomly select which audio interface to use as the default on boot.