Added Vst doesn't appear in MIDI tracks instruments list

Hello, I installed Ardour 7 yesterday as my first DAW so I’m a complete newbie.
I installed a piano vst and did everything folowing this video. The piano doesn’t appear in my MIDI tracks instruments list though.
I have no idea why it doesn’t work, but hopefully someone can help me out.

Is the VST listed in Ardour > Window > Plugin Manager?

On What OS do you use Ardour? Linux, like unfa? and if so, have you perhaps installed a Windows VST rather than a Linux version of the plugin

thanks for the fast reply.
I’m using linux and de ‘Maestro Concert Grand V2’ on this website (the website says it’s for linux).
I see this when I open the plugin manager:

Ah, that is a sample-library (a collection of sound-files), not a plugin.

You need a synthesizer plugin that can load the sample-library.
This plugin used to be Linuxsampler, although it is rather dated, not packaged by most GNU/Linux distros, and there are likely better options out there these days.

I do however not know what people use to load gig v2 sample-libraries. Perhaps someone else here does.

For piano, I’d probably use the salamander-grandpiano soundfont with ACE Fluidsynth (that synth plugin comes with Ardour). You can get the soundfont from Soundfonts 4U

2 Likes

Ah, thanks. Not sure how to download the soundfont though. I can only play a demo.

Yamaha C5

1 Like

So I downloaded the Yamaha C5 Grand-v2.4, I scanned the folder I placed it in (this is my plugin manager now:

), added ‘ACE fluid synth’ in ‘add MIDI tracks’, then to ‘plugins provided’. There I saw a long list of built-in instruments wich don’t make sound. Not sure where my plugin went.

Again, a soundfont or a sample library is not a plugin.

You create a MIDI track with ACE Fluid Synth as the instrument. Then dbl-click on the plugin in the relevant mixer strip to bring up the plugin’s UI. From that UI, load the soundfont from wherever you put it on your disk(s).

2 Likes

And, to (possibly) clarify further, FluidSynth isn’t really a synth in a traditional sense. It doesn’t make sounds on its own. It’s really a soundfont player which requires a soundfont to make sound.

A soundfont is a collection of sounds (often samples) and instructions on how to play them, organized in a file that can be loaded into a soundfont player, like Fluidsynth. Fluidsynth will then interpret the MIDI events and use the soundfont to render the appropriate sounds.

So, when you first load Fluidsynth as a plugin, it won’t make any sound as it doesn’t have a soundfont loaded. You have to load a soundfont to get it to work.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

I figured it out, thanks for the help everyone!

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.