Add sample to DrumGizmo soundkit

Hi there, I’m currently using DrumGizmo in my tracks and I’m pretty happy with the sound quality.
I was wondering if it was possible to add other samples and use it together with the other samples of the drumkit.
As an example, suppose you load a drumkit which fyou mostly like (e.g. you like kick, snare, crash etc…), but you wish to use the hi-hat of another drumkit. Is it possible to load the sample of another drumkit and use it together with the other samples of the first drumkit? Or the only way is to create another instrument track in Ardour with another DrumGizmo instance with the entire second drumkit loaded?
I think the last solution would be very uncomfortable to manage in a session (too many tracks)…

The short answer is yes, if you are comfortable editing text/XML files.

Drumgizmo kits are just samples in wav format and a SFZ-like XML format that describes which samples to use for a given Note/velocity.

So you can create a new kit derived from the one you use now, and then replace e.g. the hi-hat samples with those from another kit and eventually update the kit description using a text editor.

Thanks for the answer!
Is there any documentation with details about how to do that?

It is similar to creating new Kits (the DG editor also requires you to write those XML files manually), I suggest to ask on the official DrumGizmo - LinuxMusicians forum.

On the drumgizmo website, they have several tutorials.

https://www.drumgizmo.org/wiki/doku.php?id=videos

I think one that may be helpful to you is “Create a pitch-shifted instrument”. It tells you how to duplicate one of the existing sounds, manipulate it, and then add it in. If you go through that exercise, it would be a decent model on how to add a sound.

1 Like

Recently I used the “LSP Trigger” plugin to add in another sample for the kick drum, which is then “triggered” by the peaks of the kick track from DrumGizmo. For the snare and toms it should also work quite well. For hihats however I don’t think this approach works, because the plugin just listens on the peaks and therefore wouldn’t be able to distinguish a “closed” from an “open” hihat…