Add Existing Media dialog - search and location

(Gdevlin2) #1

(This is on Linux. Not sure if that makes a difference. Ardour 5.12.)

I can’t quite figure out how to use the Location and Search boxes under the Browse Files tab of this dialog.

Ultimately what I’m trying to do is this: I have the path and filename of an audio file, as text in the clipboard. I’m trying to find a quick way to jump to that file in this dialog so I can import it. As opposed to manually navigating through the folder tree to the correct path and then manually finding the file in that folder.

Clicking the “Type a file name” button shows the Location box. Typing into that box then shows a dropdown containing filenames in the current folder that match what I’ve typed. Selecting any of those list items places it in the Location box but doesn’t seem to do anything else. I was expecting it to select that file in the actual file list below. What is the purpose of the Location box?

Choosing the Search option from the Places list shows a Search box. This only seems to search under my home folder. Can it be told where to search instead?

I read the manual and searched the web but came up empty. Any help would be great.

Yours,
A happy Ardour user.