add a dll file

hi im a newbie in terminal and ardour,
i have .dll file in my folder, where should i move the file so i can run the vst in ardour, what should i type?

thanks

i have ".dll" file...

Use Windows. Seriously, if you want to use Windows plug-ins (which I assume is what your .dll file is), then you should be using Windows and a Windows host application not balancing a wobbly stack of translation layers, emulations and nasty hacks on top of linux.

hendra: more extensively: http://manual.ardour.org/working-with-plugins/windows-vst-support/

I agree with linux dsp, there are ways to get vst plugins to load in linux, wether or not they function correctly if at all is another story.

Ive managed to load some windows plugins an festige (a kx studio app for loading vsts) but it was niether stable of usable.

some plugins may work ok, some may be unstable, some may not even work at all.

Ardour can support vsts but again its no guarentee that it will work and you need to build it yourself.

If you are into your games and have tried console emulators then you will see what problems they have, even when emulating old outdated systems on new powerfull computers, sometimes there is just no way of reliably emulating the hardware on consoles, the same goes with operating systems. Sometimes they are so different that trying to emulate 1 system on another is so complex that either the time and resources are not there to be able to develop it or that it just isnt actually possible.

Another way to think about it is with launguage, in 1 launguage you say something, in another laungauge it doesnt translate the same because it has a different meaning even though the words are the same, or there just isnt the words to descibe what your syaing in the other lanugage

veda_sticks: linuxdsp was talking about native Linux VST, not Windows VST. I think …

@paul:

linuxdsp was talking about native Linux VST, not Windows VST. I think ...
To clarify, I was talking about (not) using Windows VSTs on linux - specifically, my point is that if anyone wants to use Windows VSTs, I believe the the most reliable way to do that is to use them in a Windows host on Windows rather than with a stack of compatibility layers etc on top of linux. There are several good reasons to use linux for audio, almost all of which are negated once you start trying to use plugins compiled for a completely different OS on top of it - the best option for doing audio on linux is to use native linux applications and plugins, whether LV2 - or VST compiled for linux i.e. native linux VSTs.

Hi,

I don’t fully agree, I think because you choose Linux as a platform doesn’t necessarily mean turning your back on things that happen to work well on the other platform AND on Linux as well. If you want to use ArdourVST to use 90% Windows VST Audio plugins then common sense would suggest maybe you are on the wrong platform… however if you reverse the math then perhaps it is not unreasonable to want to use 90% Linux plugins and have some capability to use some well-established and comfortable Windows VST’s that cover needs not yet adequately addressed in Linux Audio yet…

I use ArdourVST and package it, despite all the negative press if you know what you’re doing and stick to WindowsVST’s that work reliably it is almost as stable as using native Ardour, in fact in using ArdourVST with only Linux plugins I’m convinced it is equally stable… let’s not forget there have been more than a few Linux plugins especially lately that can bring a native Ardour3 to it’s knees in short order … Am I saying this to be a shit disturber or a contrarian? No…

I love Linux Audio and am certainly a strong proponent of all it’s strengths however the fact is as a recording musician there are still some big workflow gaps and missing plugins that I choose to fill the need for using Windows VST’s, in their own time when Linux Audio developers get to it these gaps will be filled and the 90% usage case will continue to move toward 100% on the Linux side

As an admittedly minor example if you want to use SFZ sound libraries on Linux with Ardour you have to run a separate instance of Linuxsampler and then run the Linuxsampler LV2 plugin in Ardour, not the end of the world but not exactly convenient either especially if you don’t require Linuxsampler otherwise. With an ArdourVST build I can simply drop the Cakewalk or Sforzando SFZ plugin on a track and job done…

@hendra

You are welcome to try a working build of both Ardour and ArdourVST on the AV Linux LiveDVD which can be burned to USB or DVD and booted on your computer
http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

@GMaq: All of what you say is true, and in the case where there are a few must have Windows plugins, which aren’t available for linux then its an option, but wouldn’t it be better if those plugins got native linux ports, and I don’t think the way to try and get to that ideal is for users to have to rely on a stack of Windows translation layers etc. I guess what prospective users of Windows plugins on linux need to know, is the risk involved - though, unfortunately I certainly can’t argue that native linux plugins are magically immune from crashes…
You put a lot of work into shipping a version of Ardour and associated adapter applications - which, with just the right mixture of WINE voodoo, can work impressively well, and I’ve always said that WINE is an incredible project, and at a purely technical level of wow look what we can do - all of those projects are impressive, and viable as a short term fix or - a last resort, but isn’t the better longer term solution for linux audio users and developers, that we ecourage more high quality native linux applications and plugins etc.