ACM520X1 Stereo Bus Compressor Plug-In for Linux Released

Right i understand having hardware is important, I mean no one is going to try to develop a video game for a specific system without actually having the system on hand. That being said i hope the best for your business.

Also I would like to see some La 2a style compressors on Linux from other plugin makers as well, actually all of the styles of analog type compressors, Including FET.
I really want to get out of mac and windows for the majority or my work in the future but we’ll see.

1 Like

I agree, if you have all of the ACM Plugins it gets confusing because the number names are similar enough that I forget which is which sometimes… What if the Plugin ‘purpose’ and the numbered name were in reversed order? ie “Stereo Bus Compressor ACM520X1” “Channel Strip Compressor ACM510X1” etc…

1 Like

Guys, look at what I’ve made for you here with these plug-ins - and for Linux no less - and you don’t like the names?! :slight_smile:

Seriously though, the plug-in categories (and names) are filled out in more detail in the plug-in - or as the plug-in SDK permits - so, while its not up to the host application to make up for the shortcomings of a plug-in developer’s naming system, your host application’s plug-in manager may be able to help.

There is some logic to the naming, for example 500Xn are channel EQs, 510Xn are channel dynamics / compressors, 520Xn are master bus processing (traditionally the ‘center section’ in some consoles), and 530Xn are reverbs. Personally I find it equally confusing when I can’t decide if I should use a face-ripper distortalizer or a zombieplex reverbolator so I guess it also depends on what you’re used to.

I also tend to use these in a more analogue (modular) fashion rather than sprinkling plug-ins all over a mix. So for example I might have a template project that consists of 24 channels, 16 of which have the ACM500XA and 510XA, for EQ and Dynamics, while say 8 have the ACM500X1 and 510X1, with the 520X1 on the master bus followed by the ACM-2SA, 5SA, etc for some virtual ‘outboard’ processing.

1 Like

If you use plugs from the likes of Airwindows then you’ll know that you can quickly get used to unconventional plugin names :slight_smile:

In Reaper you can save an FX chain with an ACM500n / ACM510n (plus an ACM-3SA at the start) as a chann strip. Could save an Ardour session template with the above on a bunch of tracks at least until track templates / FX chain saving is ever implemented…?

Anyway I bought this ACM520X1 pretty much immediately yesterday and messed about with it on my lunch break and it sounded brilliant :slight_smile: Feels like it has a lot of range in it (if that makes sense?) so I imagine it’s usable on any type of music.

There are a few subtleties to this compressor - it’s not simply a standard compressor which matches the numbers on the front panel (that would be missing the point). The threshold settings actually change as you adjust the ratio, so as to maintain a constant perceived loudness.

Internally its a combination of feedback and feed-forward compressor, so the audio is sent to a feedback compressor arrangement which you don’t actually hear, however the control ‘voltage’ from its sidechain is used to control the ‘VCA’ of a feed-forward compressor, which actually passes the audio.

So you get more the character of a feedback compressor in a feed-forward arrangement. In practical terms this means that at 2:1 there is a relatively gradual transition into compression (soft ‘knee’) whereas at higher ratios, the transition is more abrupt (harder ‘knee’).
At the same time, for the same front panel threshold setting, the actual threshold increases as you increase the ratio, so at 4:1 the threshold is higher than at 2:1 etc. The result is that as you change the ratio the perceived loudness remains the same.

A typical use case might be to put it on the master bus, set the threshold all the way clockwise, so there is no compression happening at all. Select a 2:1 ratio, a relatively long attack time (10 or even 30ms) so you don’t squash the transients of the mix, and a short release time (0.1s or even ‘auto’ release) so the compressor recovers quickly. Then dial back the threshold until you have only about 2 or 3dB of gain reduction on the meter, and adjust the makeup gain by 2 or 3dB to match the unprocessed level.

2 Likes

I decided to buy this too. Convinced immediately with goodness. Respected that you make such good tools for Linux. Also works with Mixbus 32C without problems and expands its possibilities even further.

I am one step closer to a total Linux environment in my studio. I would just have time to remove the Windows installation and run it over with the new Avlinux. So far it’s been with dualboot.

1 Like

Thank you - I hope it works well for you

Excellent sound and character! Than You for making it! :pray: :gem:

Added to my toolbox too :grin:
Can’t wait to use it on a project :heart_eyes:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.