Ableton branch

Hi all,
I am now to Ardour and just poking around.

I just read saw this on LAD list:

“I have another entirely new branch that is developing Live-like “clip launch” facilities for Ardour, and it is likely that Link support would want to piggy back on some of the concepts being developed there (notably beat/bar synchronization).”
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2016-September/036515.html

And on git I found this:

Is there a plan when this feature will be part of Ardour releases?

Is it possible to try this branch or is it only work in progress?

It is 100% a work in progress. I will provide no information on how it works, because it is so far from “working” that it is not at a point where any user or even any other developer should be looking at it.

Once I get it into closer to usable shape, I will welcome feedback. At at this time, I can’t offer any clues on when that might happen.

The “push2” branch, which focuses on the Ableton Push 2 surface, will get merged into master and will be released in either 5.4 or 5.5, I believe.

That would be awesome news ! I sincerely hope you’ll be able to keep working on it in the future.

Thanks Paul for the clarification.
I appreciate to see that devs are open to other GUI layout concepts.
I will be patient for the surprises to come.
Looking forward to the first Push 2 demo videos.

Both branches have absolutely nothing to do with GUI layout concepts, just to be clear. The use of the term “Ableton” is a reference to capabilities pioneered by Live, not by its appearance.

Both branches have absolutely nothing to do with GUI layout concepts, just to be clear.

How is the clip launch planned to be integrated into the UI, then?

i think paul is referring to the term ableton in the branch which is not based on the design of the ui but on the capabilities. there will most definitely be a form of clip launcher ui…