A "roadmap" for Ardour

We’ve finished an initial draft of a “roadmap” for future Ardour development. You can read it here and comment on it below, if you feel like it. Please read the introduction to understand what the document is and isn’t.

22 Likes

Thanks for that. If I could vote, I would vote for modulations, freeze MIDI To audio and FX racks. Thanks for your great work!

i like it so far, specially ‘Finishing What We’ve Started’ - takes
Thanks for sharing it though, i (and i guess others) really appreciate broad view of upcoming stuff…

1 Like

Addition, Everything you do remember stability and reliability first. A tool is a good tool only if it does not violate the object of the work.

3 Likes

You’ve mentioned ‘Performance’ three times, twice in QoL and once in ‘Stuff we don’t really want to do.’ The way I’ve come to know you, I’m fairly sure that was intentional, but I thought I’d mention it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, thanks! This list meets the needs of many users, including me :smiley: If I had to pick two most important for me, it would be: Folder tracks (yeeeaah! - no more 16 drum plugin fan out tracks taking half of monitor) and implementing scales/modes (or more generally, put some life into MIDI editor).

If this document is not that much confidential, please consider update your site: https://ardour.org/development
especially the roadmap link, cause now it leads to " 404 Not Found | nginx".

Thanks once again!

Hello, I just want to say a sincere “thank you”.

I’m a newbie and the only thing I miss in Ardour (and in general in Linux Audio tools) has to do with audio editing: noise canceler, de-click, de-hum etc. My workflow right now gets me out from Ardour and open Audacity, or even worse Windows :frowning:

I think we would be stronger if native Audacity’s .ny plugins and Reaper’s .js could run “natively” on Ardour. Both communities are strong and would be a smart move to make easy to bring users from other DAWs.

I don’t know if it is technically unfeasible or If It is posible just to make a script that convert those files on vst or somefhing, but what is certain is that it has an important community of users, and as an audio production student this is the gap I found.

Big THANKS again.

PS
It would be feasible to make an Windows VST Converter to Linux VST, some day? And avoiding wine?

Nice!

My votes go for Per region plugins, and Folder tracks (it would be nice if these show the combined waveform of the audio regions they contain, like in Reaper).

Also regarding the pitch shifting and time stretching, are you aware of this newish one (GitHub - Signalsmith-Audio/signalsmith-stretch: C++ polyphonic pitch/time library (GitHub mirror))? It was added to HISE a couple of months ago and gives really good results.

With regards to instrument plugins, I’d be interested in working with you on this. I make commercial open source instruments and have a dedicated player plugin, I’d like to also offer some free as in beer instruments that I think would be a good fit for Ardour.

8 Likes

More keystroke alternatives to mouse clicking for navigation, editing, etc.

i.e., left/right arrow to navigate note to note in the midi editor, Shift + L/R arrow to add notes to the focus, Shift+Esc to exit note focus, Shift+Enter to regain focus of note nearest playhead… (these are just examples)

I know this isn’t a glamorous request to add to the roadmap, but it’s important for speed of workflow, imho.

4 Likes

Cool :slight_smile: something, i was thinking recently i would like to read :slight_smile:

My vote definitely goes to implementing clip recording, thank you! :slight_smile: Is there a chance it will be done in Ardour 8.X?

1 Like

Yes, I am. It’s similar to what rubberband v3 does, incremental phase shifts over short blocks. It is enabled by default in Ardour by default since v7.0.

Ardour does not do any processing by itself, everything is delegated to plugins, you could e.g. try GitHub - lucianodato/noise-repellent: Lv2 suite of plugins for broadband noise reduction.

Yes, you can: GitHub - jpcima/ysfx: Hosting library for JSFX

4 Likes

Is there something similar to convert .ny to .lv2 (or other compatible format)?
Thanks

Per region plugins sounds like a great idea.

Er, that’s not how it works, I’m afraid.

Nyquist is a LISP-based programming language. LV2 is API where plugins are typically written in C and C++.

Someone would have to create an interpretor of Nyquist code to LV2 binaries (somewhat similar to what FAUST does with code in its own programming language, but I could be wrong).

3 Likes

I understand. Thanks!

I’m a pretty happy camper with 8.0 and grateful for that! Of your list I can see better stretch (elastique or improved FOSS equivalents) and per-region Plugins becoming very handy in future releases! CLAP support is likely going to become a must as ridiculous as incorporating yet another Plugin standard is… :roll_eyes:

I will also add my voice to the ‘stabilty first, new features next’ suggestion

I know that the audio in Linux landscape is evolving a lot but resources are (and probably will continue to be so for a while) scarce. I follow the mod.audio guys and recently they’ve started a desktop application effort to have the part of “huge plugins” management be easier for those that do not own a mod device.

One of the goals there is to gather more people to participate in development and, in my opinion, scale the plugin store so that it is another stream of revenue. Everything is open source but SOME plugins are paid.

Do you people envision some other stream of revenue to scale development resources?

Once again, thank you very much for this awesome application. Truly high quality software and project management with very few resources. I really appreciate how the goals/non-goals is well written. Everyone who follows the dev team replies here know that you really live by those words and that is awesome.

This Ardour developer helped to make MOD hardware, designed and developed the licensing system for MOD’s paid plugins, and has contributed few plugins to their store.

So far that paid for a month’s worth of coffee supply, and got me two MOD devices.

Anyway, for Ardour the problem is finding qualified developers. Ardour.org | audio software developers/engineers | INTERN-ish | Remote Ardour is... | Hacker News

6 Likes

I apologize in advance if any of my suggestions have already been discussed previously.

In “Control Surfaces” I would add a tool so that people can share configuration files they have already created, importing/exporting from a server.
In “Things Nobody Has Done Properly (yet)” I would add a tool to Master Bus to load reference audio files so that the user can A/B at the click of a button.
That’s what I can think of as good suggestions, off the top of my head. :grin:

1 Like

I did this by putting an insert on the masterbus. Just route a track with your referencetracks to it. By deactivating or activating it you hear either the reference or the session. Its included in my basic sessiontemplate so i always got this function. :slight_smile:

1 Like