I’ve juste bought (yesterday) a Roland Integra 7 MIDI expander in order to use it with Ardour 3.
But there’s something strange happening : Ardour seems to reset the expander’s settings (instruments choices) when it starts playing the song from the begining !
Here is what I do, and what happens :
- I have written a tab in Guitar Pro 6 (of a song from my own band). My purpose is to transfer it to Ardour to re-record some of the tracks with better sounds from the Integra (especially drums), and re-record some other tracks with real instrument/vocal takes, then mix it in Ardour.
- From GuitarPro, I export the tab to a single MIDI file, containing all the instruments parts in dinstinct channels
- I created an Ardour 3 project in which I imported that MIDI file (each channel to a separate track)
- Still in Ardour, I assigned each MIDI track to a different MIDI channel, and linked their respective MIDI outputs it to the expander in QJackCTL (the expander is USB plugged). At this points it works just fine ! :)
- Then, on the expander I choose the sounds I like for each channel (a nice drumkit on ch. 10, a clean guitar on ch. 3 ...) and then I save these settings in the expander's memory
Everything seems perfect, except when I rewind to the very begining of the song : then, when I hit the “play” button it resets all the expander instruments choices back to default !!!
That doesn’t happen if I start playing from anywhere else than the begining.
My guess (can you tell me if you think I’m right or wrong ?) is that there must be a “program change” MIDI message sent to the expander at the very begining of the song, or something like that … but WHY ?
- Do you think it might be Ardour who sends it for some reason ? In that case, could someone please tell me where I can find some documentation about it ?
- Or does it HAS to be some unwanted data imported form the GuitarPro's MIDI file ? And in that case, how can I see and edit MIDI data other than notes in Ardour 3 ?
- Or if you think it's neither Ardour nor GuitarPro, how can I investigate on this ?
I’m a beginner with MIDI and I could really use some help, please … thanks