10th anniversary, part one

All I can say is thanks… and let’s hope the community will increase support and maybe some corporate sponsors come back on board and keep ardour alive for at least another 10 years… I can’t do without it anymore…

@pablo: ardour came first. JACK grew out of the intersection of discussions on the LAD mailing list about the need for something like JACK, and splitting ardour’s internal audio engine out into its own program.

hi Paul,

just stopping by to say thanks. I am very grateful for your software. it is a godsend for people like me who are not pro’s at all, rather occasional amateur a few times a year, but still need a more advanced tool than audacity to mix/record audio with. Thanks and best wishes!

matthias

I remember the heroic debuts of Paul (Barton) Davis in the early moments of the 21century. Notably the sympathic Softwerk (http://softwerk.sourceforge.net/) wich was a worthy attempt to offer a very “roots” sequencer like the old ones. (hint: I am a big fan of Tangerine Dream). At theses times, there were very few audio softwares for Linux and the page of Dave Phillips was the main source of news for the rare E.T fallen on earth with a taste for Unix. Csound was, then, one of the obvious choice for sound creation, but non free, and Paul tried aswell to adress this problem with an alternative multithreaded version called Quasimodo. However it wasn’t succesfull. Probably a too ambitious project or some licensing issues remained ? Anyway, audio languages like Puredata made maybe more sense for what could be seen as the modern incarnation of the analog modular. On the bright side, Paul made later a few important strategic developpments like the drivers for the RME cards (may be the first professionnal card under Linux), the Jack audio server and Ardour of course.

I can only say thank you to Paul Davis for Ardour as there is still no real solid alternative, and not sure most of us would have been able to choose Linux for making music without it.

Wow! It seems like only yesterday. Paul, I still have tons of pics of ardour1 and 2 from the stage you posted here, through all its stages of puberty. If you ever want to put together a ‘first child’ type of scrap book lemme know.

happy anniversary, paul!

i think it was in 2002 where i gave my first public demonstrations of ardour at LinuxTag in Karlsruhe… we somehow had a stream player hooked up to ardour (i think it was xmms-jack), some mixer and a few other rudimentary jack apps, and the setup totally freaked out a nationwide radio guy that was visiting our booth :smiley:
that was one of two major contacts that were made. the other involved some company behind the X consortium who wanted to push their own network audio layer on top of X11 - i failed to convert him to jack then…
then again, those were the days where every other command you typed was kill -9 jackd :smiley:

nice to see ardour thriving. the non-jack network audio layer has faded into oblivion, though…