Windows?

Joe: thanks for mentioning Dream Studio (http://dream.dickmacinnis.com). Just as a note on what it is: It’s almost the same as Ubuntu Studio, but with more up-to-date apps, better default audio settings, and prettier graphics. Also, unlike UbuntuStudio it runs live on a DVD, and can be installed on a USB stick using any method that works for Ubuntu (however, I recommend doing a full install to the USB drive, rather than using USBcreator, Unetbootin, and the like. A true USB install is much faster and persistent by design).

As for being able to access your hard drive from a LiveCD/DVD, it’s no problem with Dream Studio, though I can’t speak for others. And though you can always customize your own install, I recommend using “Ubuntu Customization Kit” (http://uck.sourceforge.net) to add packages to your own live disc, as I’ve done. This way, you can just make customized copies of a single CD/DVD image for all your students.

@ joegiampaoli
@ macinnisrr

…thank you both for your instant answers. I have tryed to boot from my self-burnt UbuntuStudio DVD, and it installed something that I couldn’t start later on.

(Virtual Box / Windows/or UBUNTU on Mac !!!)

But also directly from disk to Mac it also wanted to install !!! But didn’t work out well !!

(I have to admit: I only tried next to my job and couldn’t invest much time for it yet!!!)

So maybe I’ll try the dreamstudio (where I took the “guided Tour”)

If I could I’d compile my own thing, but I lack the experience. AND it must run on any PC or MAC !!

Or better it should !!

Well we’ll see and hear. thanx again, looking forward to experience more !!

Ficheland

Once again (WIN) guyz: don’t waste your time here, just switch to Traverso !

http://traverso-daw.org/

ficheland: UbuntuStudio doesn’t run as a liveCD, meaning that you must install it before you can try it (which, as you’ve seen, can be a problem if you then can’t figure out how to start it.). This is one of the big differences between UbuntuStudio and Dream Studio. In order to use the latter, just insert the DVD, boot it the same way you did with UbuntuStudio, and you can use the whole system right from the CD without installing it to a hard drive, all BEFORE you’re forced to install.

AVLinux will do the same, but in the event that you do install either one, you’ll find more support for Dream Studio in the ubuntuforums (ubuntuforums.org), which will apply to Dream Studio (and UbuntuStudio for that matter) because it’s based on Ubuntu. Note that the advice you’d find in those forums MAY apply to AVLInux, but it also may not. Nonetheless, GMaq (AVLinux’s creator) is a really smart and helpful guy, so if you do decide on AVLinux I’m sure he can answer most of your questions. Both AVLinux and Dream Studio have their own dedicated forums as well, and if you use Dream Studio, you’ll also find tons of handy tips in the Ubuntu Manual (ubuntu-manual.org).

@forart.it: if you continue our forums in this way, I will delete your messages. You are off-topic, and have been quite rude about this in the past. Traverso is a fine project, and I have no wish to create any negative ideas about it, but it is not and probably will not for quite a long time a substitute for Ardour (or any other existing DAW).

@ macinnisrr
Hi, thanks a lot…I am not permanently working on my project, so that’s why i only answer now (4 weeks later) …But I appreciate your hints and wil follow them…

Happy New Year yours ficheland