Why a Velocity Lane don't exists?

Intuition is a well defined term, if you know or can do something without having learned it in a formal way but through previous experiences, it is intuition. All people that worked on midi velocity know in general terms how to edit without necessarily read a manual more than for very specific things. it is intuition too based in previous experiences.

Anyway, I believe in Ardour way to do many things is more efficient, and others than this no, how any software, but in this topic in particular every software I remember manage Velocity in a lane or in a special window for edit all midi. Maybe a more efficient way for edit midi parameters is possible, but the midi side in Ardour for this omission in specific is not the best yet and itā€™s delayed compared to other DAW.

Definition/Citation needed:)

Seablade

Hi, intuition is not a Ā«paranormalĀ» word, is extensively used in psychology and antropology, the words I used is my own version but others use similar terms, for example:

https://www.definitions.net/definition/intuition

If you perceives (unconciousness) that someone lies to you (and itā€™s true) is not for magic, is for your previous an unconciousness experience on patterns recognition like gestures, voice tone or speed, breath, etc. Itā€™s intuition.

When this knowledge is formalized and theorized (by others or self) and aquired in a consciuos way is not intuitive, the language for native speakers is a intuitive thing mostly because we deduce meaning and proper grammar (my english is not the case :wink: ) and regular expressions of a particular social group.

Ardour is mostly intuitive because the things works like other daws, in others works slightly different and itā€™s normal, a fader that rescales velocity sound interesting but if you canā€™t see the new values, the proportional changes, or need to see a documentation for trivial things (edit velocity on a bunch of notes is trivial in midi) is not intuitive.

The function for aleathoric is cool, but insufficient, the same for the method used for UNFA for create a pseudo-curve, interesting, useful and funny, but insufficient.

1 Like

I add to my comment, intuitive is not the same as good, Encore was intuitive at the time but it is not at all a comfortable way to edit a score. If you propose something totally new it is natural that it is not intuitive, but if it is well designed it will improve the user experience and allow better and more efficient workflows.

I would make an educated guess there are more Users (I am definitely one!) that would have gladly used a velocity lane feature for years already if it were implemented in an initial phase and simply handled notes and ramps on a horizontal selection basis . Indeed ā€˜chordsā€™ would also be a terrific feature but for drum editing as a common popular example it is unnecessary and Users could easily modify single notes in chords one at a time in the meantime. Not doing it at all for all of these years because of a chord function that could be added as a logical future extension still seems kinda bizarre to meā€¦ :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

So? The problem remains:

ā€¦nobody has volunteered to implement itā€¦

but for monophonic signals you can just ride the Fader.

1 Like

And as previous experiences vary from one person to another then intuition and intuitive is not an absolute concept that can cover everyoneā€™s needs and workflows.

1 Like

Yes, is relative but not uncertain, in midi velocity we have a truth, every DAW can manage velocity for a group of notes drawing lines or curves, then intuition for new users on others daw search similar ways to edit them. I do not how a DJ works on a software like mixxx, but i know how midi works on orchestration, sampling and synths, in the same or very similar to every automation or MIDI CC Lane, then why we resist this way if we use this for all the other things?

In this point with the posibility on draw linear on a Lane (if this edit the values) Iā€™m happy, and think all than works on midi too, in fact, is a longer wait feature (since v3!!!).

Hi, donā€™t know if it helps, but I was thinking about the possibility to edit MIDI regions with an external MIDI editor. I was using xjadeo to sync music and video with excelent result. Maybe itā€™s easier to implement a feature that allows to launch an external program to edit MIDI.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.