What about calf-plugins?

My favorite limiter is the x42 one at this point: x42 Digital Peak Limiter. @x42 recently added true peak limiting function and I find it to be very transparent. Previously, I was using Loudmax which is excellent but not open source. I’ve tried to like the LSP limiter but find it doesn’t behave in a predictable way.

I have no experience with multiband enhancers but I’d be surprised if there wasn’t an Airwindows equivalent or combo of Airwindows plugins that could achieve the same thing.

1 Like

Bummer I thought I’d found some wonderful plugins, sounded ok to my (old) ears, now I’m going to look at the ones recommended here … I like their Fluidsynth though, will probably go on using that one

+1 for the x42 Limiter, it’s my go to for individual tracks, and Presswerk for the master (I’m agnostic about open/closed source when it comes to choosing what is optimal for a mix). I also agree with you about Loudmax though… Really a great transparent Mastering Limiter as well!

Since we’re muddying the Calf topic with other Plugins… some recent work with Airwindows (and unfortunate discovery that they are not optimized for Ryzen Threadripper CPU’s at all) introduced me to ‘Block Party’ which has a great analog character…

1 Like

The airwindows plugins, x42 plugins and LSP plugins are all fantastic. Between those three, you can find pretty much anything you can on Calf (except the synths). That said, I admit there are a couple of Calf plugins whose sounds I really like, so I won’t be deleting them from my system. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What about Exciters? I know we don’t have Aphex, and I used the one from Calf Plugins regularly, last time here:

Are there better alternatives? And maybe it’s just me, but I find it difficult to “tune” it to produce nice sibilants where there aren’t any (or very muddy ones due to overuse of de-essers)…

Thanks for any tips you might have…

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.