Tap Tempo

p.s. the attitude of, “you can just calculate it yourself” feels entirely ANTI-technology… if we extrapolate that anti-progress-idea-disguised-as-a-can-do-attitude, we could also say, why design a graphical interface for the mixer, when we can just type all the values into little dBm boxes…

adding this functionality would absolutely NOT detract from traditional multitrack recorder functionality one bit. It only adds power and enables the easier flow creativity…

has anyone here ever used an audio production app where tempo tools/functionality is super flexible? Like being able to adjust teh audio in a track to havce a different tempo mapping on a sample leve basis? I mean, take a perfect take, with one very badly timed note/event - no need to rerecord, or punch in/out, just move the event earlier or later in time, and the audio engine calculates the playback timing of the material on the fly… It’s powerfull stuff. reminds me of DNA. Makes no sense to throw away an inspired performance because the tools are unwilling to provide the functionality.

take a perfect take, with one very badly timed note/event - no need to rerecord, or punch in/out, just move the event earlier or later in time

Maybe I’m missing an important detail here, but I do that kind of thing with Ardour’s editor the whole time: split region before and after mis-timed note, slide forward or back (by ear or by lining up the blobs), tidy up the joins… it doesn’t need any special audio engine processing. Ardour can lengthen and shorten a note too, though the UI for that involves a certain amount of guesswork.

It’s much worse when you have a track which is randomly off the beat all the way through. Ardour’s “rhythm ferret” is supposed to deal with this but the only time I tried it the result wasn’t pretty. Additionally, if your music’s tempo is changing over a period of time, then you would need the “tap tempo” feature you mentioned earlier to make that work.

etyrnal: if you like tools that allow you to play with audio as if was made of silly putty, then you’re entirely free to use them. They are a lot of fun, extremely powerful and really clever. Ardour isn’t that tool.

When noting how cool it would be “if Ardour did <X>” people seem to generally forget that in general, we have 1.5 or at most 2 full time developers working on the project at any time. We have a list of bugs that would wrap around a large building. We have a TO-DO List with enough work on it to last 2-3 years at least. Nobody is suggesting that Ardour is the only tool you should use or even consider. And nobody except for a user who wasn’t aware of builtin functionality in Ardour was suggesting “calculate it yourself”.

I have a huge amount of respect for the technology inside (e.g.) Ableton Live. So far, I generally don’t have a lot of respect for the musical performances that I’ve heard that I know were done using it. Being able to fix a badly timed note/event by warping playback just isn’t functionality that personally interests me, and as Ardour’s lead developer, I think I have many much more important features (and bugs) to work on for our users.

if your looking for a tap tempo delay, try the calf-plugins from git

be warned though, some of the URI’s changed so this will cause havok in projects that use those plugins.

falktx packaged calf-plugins-git with the uri’ sfixed so if you use kx studio then you can get it by

sudo apt-get install calf-plugins-git

unfortunatlly it seems that the git version is missing fluidsunth

be warned though, some of the URI's changed so this will cause havok in projects that use those plugins...

falktx packaged calf-plugins-git with the uri’ sfixed so if you use kx studio…

Pfft :frowning:
Why can’t things, er… just work?

I shold really post a bug report on calfs plugins, but yeah why cant it just work, and if its working why did the plugin uri’s changed.

anyway, the kx studio packaged git plugins dont have the issue