Spitfire Discovery BBC Orchestra Linux

And you are using yabridge to make the spitfire-ardour “connection” I suppose?

Yes, AVLinux uses yabridge.

Yes: I have configured yabridge using AVLinux’s “YADBridge” utility to add the $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program Files/VstPlugins directory (where my Spitfire plugins live) to its plugin_dirs configuration variable.

Wow, somebody actually used it!? :smiley:

I appreciate your sarcasm, @GMaq , but I use YADBridge probably once a week at a minimum, and if I had to do yabridge from scratch or on my own, I really don’t know where I’d turn. Definitely one of the reasons I use AVLinux. It just works.

So thank you!

I’ve not looked much into the production centered distros but you make AVlinux sound tempting. Does it have all the useful music production staff ready to use? Have you compared it to UbuntuStudio? Thanks a lot guys for the support on this issue🙏

I assume that was supposed to be ‘useful music production stuff ready to use’? In which case the answer is likely yes, but it depends on what you consider ‘useful production stuff’.

If you did in fact mean staff the answer is likely no, as AVLinux is maintained by @GMaq in his spare time, but is still considered one of the better audio focused distributions out there for many people because he has already set things up to work for most people because it works for him.

Seablade

Ugh sorry, stuff is what I meant. (Non native speaker and ALWAYS been confusing those two.) I’m asking because I currently use KDE neon and it was a bit difficult to find some apps, and more importantly their dependencies. So if AV Linux offers them out of the box I’ll definitely give it a try!

And being just an n=1, I did use Ubuntu Studio for many years, quite happily, but at one point in moving between 2 versions (I forget if it was 20-21, or what), they majorly changed the windowing system, among other things, which required you to do a fresh install. Well, that was my opportunity to try new things. I tried AVLinux, it seemed just fine, the yabridge integration was very nice, so here I am.

The main problem I had with Ubuntu Studio was Studio Controls. I was used to running things myself, and happily controlled Jack with qjackctl, but when Studio Controls was introduced and implemented, things went a bit awry, things I had working nicely no longer worked nicely, and one wasn’t sure who was controlling what. So I ended up uninstalling Studio Controls. I’m sure it’s great if you are coming in cold, but dropping that in the middle of a functioning system was less than optimal.

Ok, I’ll probably create a live usb to try AV Linux to see how it goes and maybe install it alongside neon.

Hi,

I appreciate the good press, briefly in general AV Linux is a bit more specialized and ‘open’ than UbStu, It comes with both FLOSS and Commercial DAW’s (ie Ardour, Reaper and Mixbus32C) as well as a lot of Plugins not Packaged elsewhere including some commercial demos (ACMT, Harrison-AVA, Auburn Sounds and Cut Through Recordings). It also features some helper frontends for yabridge, WineASIO, System Editor and a lot of File Manager Custom Actions that will allow you to edit samples and even create your own SFZ’s right from the File Manager. AV Linux also is heavy on Pro Video with Avidemux, Blender, Cinelerra-GG, Kdenlive and various Video helper scripts etc.

If you are super attached to KDE then you may not enjoy AVL’s tightly integrated XFCE4 Desktop… no apologies for that here, I think the D.E. is an extremely peripheral concern when the rest of the OS does what it says on the box. I can’t fathom people who switch a reliable workstation simply for a different D.E… :thinking:

Don’t worry my friend, we are in a complete agreement at this point. I’ve already made a live usb and I’m well satisfied with your work. I’ll make the installation in the days to come. Thanks so much for the effort you’ve made to give us such a wonderful distro!

Hi, I’m more or less at the same point as you, many, but not all, Windows plugins work.

yabridge works fine for me, even better than linvst did.

One of the plugins that uses webview2 according to the developer himself is HoRNet VHS headphones response correction and room simulation , but it doesn’t work with wine, its interface is simply not visible, you only see the window that opens, it’s a shame because it looks interesting.

Hornet-vhs does something similar to https://www.sonarworks.com/ bridging the gap.

The other alternative to the above is REW https://www.roomeqwizard.com/.

Regarding orchestral libraries, there is this—>> nbo-plugins - Browse Files at SourceForge.net, which are visually a bit sparse, but they work.

Apparently it works fine on AVlinux/ which is what the developer recommends, I use kubuntustudio 22.04 and I had to deal with some installation problem that I managed to solve, recreating a certain folder that the installer expects to find on my system, but the installer is designed for Avlinux based on debian (not ubuntu) and I suppose that the structure of certain folders on that system is somewhat different.

In case someone finds this link useful, I interacted with the developer to get them installed in kubuntustudio 22.04—>>No Budget Orchestra Plugins: Official release - Page 2 - LinuxMusicians.

Lastly, and in another order of things, I take this opportunity to congratulate the Ardour developers, Paul Davis, Robin Gareus, Ben Loftis, Colin Fletcher, Holger Dehnhardt., for listening to us.

Some time ago I requested the possibility of improving certain visual accessibility issues, regarding the color link, between the background color of Ardour and the color of the faders and a short time later the option to color the fabers with track color was added. This simple change makes my life easier, because I am very myopic and I use dark or at least soft colors for the general interface and brighter colors for certain controls or visual elements so my eyes get less tired.

Thank you for your work, greetings.

translation made from spanish to english with google translate

Assuming you are looking for a dual fft acoustic measurement software, Open Sound Meter runs natively on Linux.

It is not however a plugin that attempts to do room correction (Room correction is a bit of a misnomer but that is a MUCH longer topic) drc is generally the goto on Linux. It has been a LONG time since i looked into it, but essentially you need to build an FIR coefficient file, and load it into DRC IIRC.

Seablade

You seem to have read my mind (re: VHS) :slight_smile:

And yes, REW is an incredible piece of software, free or not, and it’s free. I use it.

Yes, a certain Seablade did not remember it, the truth is that I still know little about these Sound measurement programs, I read and understand what they do, although I still have a lot to learn, to use them correctly.

My speakers are not adequate and also for some time I have been installed in a bedroom that I cannot condition acoustically, so my interest in this type of software is regarding its use with headphones, specifically the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X, which are at least decent, in general for the moment I manage with them, my economic situation for now does not allow me to spend a lot of money on things other than eating and paying bills.

Greetings.

Yes, M Aaronwallker recently came across that plugin and discovered the problem, I immediately assumed that it would be the same. :wink:

Greetings.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.