speed up - I've just created a large(ish) project & pc grinds almost to a halt

odd - I just looked at the frames/period figure in qjackctl and it’s already set at 1024. Whether this was because I set latency in/out at 1024 I don’t know. I can’t seem to reset the in/out latency back to ‘default’ as it demands a number. When I changed the values, I’m sure I saw a big drop in DSP but now I’m confused.

Uh well, for now I’ll concentrate on setting up buses & sends properly - seems to be well worth investing time into.

Nope, the in/out doesn’t affect the frames/period setting. To set them to ‘default’ just enter 0.

I tried changing the in/out values, but didn’t see any DSP drop (~60% in my testcase on a 1GHz Pentium 3 ;).
Are you sure it wasn’t due to disabling plugins?
Disabling the TAP reverberator on two of my three tracks (leaving TAP chorus/flanger on one, a Flanger on the other and C* Plate and TAP tremelo on the third) dropped DSP down to ~15%. Disabling all got me down to ~3.5%

So if you have a weak CPU, do avoid the Reverberator!

I’m sure you’re right peder - in the melee of changing things around I probably lost sight of what my latency changes were doing. I’m going to keep an eye on the DSP values from now on whenever I add effects.