Soundcard drivers

@electrovalent, I’ll say again: non-working hardware can pretty much be eliminated from the equation if you take the advice of users here who actually own the audio devices that work well on Linux and across various distros. If there are subsequent issues, the forum here would be an excellent place to ask questions and seek solutions. And…it’s free!

Also worth noting that in addition to the actual devs of Ardour responding here, there have been 40+ back-and-forths here in the space of a single day. There are companies that I emailed months ago and still haven’t heard back from. Issues that are years old are still not fixed in some Windows software. Some of the forums for DAW software and audio hardware are mostly the sound of crickets. Not here!

1 Like

I have a very good friend who built and operates one the largest and most high-end recording studios in the Philadelphia area. They have a crazy level of top-end gear in place, including (but not limited to) their computer audio interfaces. Gear that cost thousands and thousands of dollars. There’s a company and a support number and a help forum. The interfaces routinely do not work correctly, and the engineers at the studio have received no useful help whatsoever from the company’s support mechanisms. They have eventually figured out a sort of ad-hoc folk wisdom that means that things work OK most of the time (i.e. they’ve worked out what sorts of things they do typically cause problems, and now they don’t do them). I’m not naming the companies involved in this, because I don’t think it is useful, but let’s just say that if you were using Apple hardware and macOS and wanted “the best” audio interface available, this is one of a very small number of companies you’d be considering.

Going back some years to when I was first working on Ardour, I discovered that using ADAT clock on many “professional” devices in the studio I was using for testing and observation simply did not work. We contacted the companies, and they’re response was, essentially “meh, yeah, we know, it’s not reliable, don’t use it”. No Linux involved.

Another example: a very well known audio tech company that made a hard disk recorder that was really a computer. A friend owned one, had several important unfinished sessions when the motherboard in the HDR died. The company could offer no help whatsoever. They said “we don’t make that unit any more and there are no replacement motherboards available from anywhere”. Their only solution was to propose that my friend drove for 4 hours to a studio of someone who owned a similar device, plug the hard drive in, and bounce the sessions into a different format.

Having been around the audio tech industry for more than 20 years now, I can say that there are very few companies that will provide you with the sort of support you probably want.

As others have noted, the newer breed of USB class compliant audio interfaces are your best bet at this point, and will likely work “forever” without issues. If they have issues, they will be ones that the manufacturer likely will not help with, no matter what platform you are using. And there will likely be highly experienced technically-savvy users of the device who will be able to provide you with better help and advice than anyone who works for the manufacturer.

An example: the MOTU Ultralite AVB that I use (24 in/out) has problems with channel swapping. It was noticed first on Linux, and when reported, MOTU both denied it and said “it’s Linux, we don’t support it”. Then it was found to happen on certain other platforms too, and MOTU started to respond by saying it was a firmware problem on their side. They claimed it was fixed - it wasn’t. Then it was fixed. Then they broke it again. You will get far more information about this issue from within the Linux audio community (including specific firmware versions that do not suffer from the problem) than you ever would from MOTU.

3 Likes

Can you provide some info about the firmware you are talking about?
The ones that do not suffer from problems?

Until you give us an idea of what you are using your audio device and professional setup for, there’s not much concrete information that can be had. What’s the point of talking firmware problems if the device you want or own doesn’t have that particular firmware?

Please do tell us your needs in terms of inputs/outputs etc and people will give you concrete options that are known to work really well in Ardour on Linux.

1 Like

Can I use this? Goliath HD | Gen 3.
I need to have full functionality and control over it.

I can’t speak to that model but my experience tells me to stay away from Antelope due to higher-than-normal failure rates and lack of good support network independent of platform used. Sweetwater stopped selling their stuff too. If you are concerned about good support a quick google search should have you rethinking this route.

EDIT: I chuckled when I saw the price too! That’s some serious dough that I’d rather be spending on a solid interface, world-class microphones, monitors and some general studio improvements. Each to his or her own though…

1 Like

Are you serious ? With that kind of money you should have no problem buying a high end Mac to go with that device and get every feature working. This seems to be a 7200 Euro device.

You still haven’t told us what you are trying to do with the audio device or how many inputs and outputs you need, I wonder why. Are you pulling our legs ?

@mhartzel, I’ve suspected he’s pulling our legs but I’m continuing to be polite trying to drill down to what the needs are etc. It’s no skin off my nose. I’m sat watching YouTubeTV on what is effectively a day off so I’m here being patient :wink:

1 Like

Thunderbolt and USB 3 are basically no-go on Linux at this point. Thunderbolt is likely dead anyway, even on macOS (being realistic about Apple’s language regarding it - remember, this is the company that blessed Firewire then dropped it like a hot potato).

If I was spending that kind of money, I’d want to be more modular - separate converters, and just run digital (MADI, probably) between the converters and the computer interface.

I am also checking on Steinberg’s AXR4T.
Will I be able to apply the firmware updates from within the Linux system?
Is there a problem on the USB interfaces I am looking for?
Yes they cost a lot of money, it’s the reason why I am being so cautious.
Aren’t those USB compliant?

Thunderbolt again. Not happening on Linux (at least not at this time, and if Thunderbolt goes like Firewire did, by the time Thunderbolt+Audio “Just Works” on Linux it will be dead everywhere else).

For USB, the key thing to look for is whether or not the device is claimed to work with iOS. If it does it is overwhelmingly likely that it will work on Linux. MOTU are particularly nice because their configuration utility runs in any web browser, making it platform independent (this is true of their newer/current devices, not their old ones).

1 Like

What I don’t understand is why you need to be especially cautious. Pick a device known to work well as recommended by an experienced user on this forum, or go for the one you really want (staying clear of thunderbolt/USB3) and take advantage of one of the many hassle-free return policies. If the device doesn’t operate in Linux you generally have 30 days to return it, no questions asked. Sweetwater is my preferred company for that, the generous guarantee period, and the candies in the box. Everyone knows that candy makes an $8000 device sound even better.

1 Like

Also: if you have a particular attachment to specific companies and/or audio interface technologies (such as Thunderbolt), then sometimes you have to trade that off with any interest in using Linux. Nobody pretends that Linux can support every audio interface out there, so if you’ve got very specific goals in mind that narrow things down to devices that come from manufacturers who really don’t care about Linux (or iOS for that matter), then it’s fairly simple: Linux will not be an option for you.

If this is the level of equipment you are looking for, put a call in to Merging Technologies. They have put out an ALSA/Ravenna driver for their equipment, and in my conversations with them at various trade shows are willing to support Linux. I would start with a conversation directly with them about your specific needs (Inputs/Outputs/DSP/etc.) and see if their Horus, Hapi, and/or Anubis systems may be able to meet your needs.

Similarly you could look into the Dante PCI-E card from Four Audio who also supposedly has a Linux driver for it they ship. I do not know what you would do for Dante Controller though so again I would contact them first, and would want to think about your specific desired equipment to connect to the Dante Network as well.

Seablade
2 Likes

Yes please.
Thank you.

Paul,
So USB are supported out of the box, but USB 3 or 3,1 is not a good idea?

The USB 3.0 audio class is relatively new and not well supported by any platform at this point. USB 2.0 audio class is well defined, and well supported on all platforms, including Linux

There can be some definitional/terminology problems here. Sometimes, people use USB3 to refer to the connector, and sometimes they are referring to the version of the audio class specification. So there are devices that can “connect via USB3” but are actually USB 2.0 audio class devices. Manufacturers are not always very clear about what they mean here.

The USB 3.0 audio interfaces are not class-compliant?

How do I install any firmware updates?