I’m trying to figure out why SonoBus (GitHub - essej/sonobus: Source code for SonoBus, a real-time network audio streaming collaboration tool.) when run as a VST3 inside Ardour 6.6 in LINUX 5.11.2, the SonoBus GUI is very sluggish and I notice heavy CPU usage:
On my Arch Linux 12-core desktop, on a fresh start of Ardour with a new project without any plugins the top command shows Ardour using around 4% of a core. After I add the Sonobus plugin, Ardour usage jumps to 13% of a core. But then opening the GUI results in Ardour using around 75% of a core and Xorg usage going up from around 1% to an ridiculous 60% of a core.
However if I run SonoBus VST3 inside Ardour 6.6 in WINDOWS, the SonoBus GUI is very responsive and I don’t notice heavy CPU usage:
Windows Task Manager says Ardour alone uses just under 1% total processsor utilization on clean start. When I add SonoBus VST without its GUI open, Ardour CPU usage is around 1.4% total processsor utilization. When I open SonoBus VST’s GUI, cpu usage only goes to around 1.7% total processsor utilization.
Curiously when I try SonoBus VST3 inside Carla host in Linux, I don’t notice any CPU hogging either. And from other users on the SonoBus forum have said the SonoBus VST3 runs fine in Reaper in Linux.
So as far as I can gather, this GUI performance bug only happens when hosted in Ardour in Linux. Why Ardour Linux but not Ardour Windows, I don’t know. I’m trying to debug this issue so any pointers please let me know. I am able to build debug modes of both Ardour in qtcreator and of SonoBus in qtcreator, though I don’t really know to debug running the SonoBus vst plugin inside Ardour.