Should I buy a Scarlett 18i8

The DSP handles, as you said, the bus processing. This obviously includes timing which is the all-time big issue in digital audio and includes natsy stuff as dealing with jitter, synchronizing DAW, external digital devices (like the audio interface itself but also optional devices as ADACs, digital FX etc.), and (de)multiplexing audio streams in order to send them or after recieving them via USB.
Also, all the internal audio routing is managed by the interface which is not a big thing with, say, a single input channnel recorded to disk but gets a lot more significant if you’re adding a monitor+master out submix.

… on the audio interface

Again, this is all on the AI side.

As I said, I can see how this, perhaps, benefits the CPU within the audio interface, but you said:

That implies the bus and CPU of the computer.

To my original question, which I don’t believe you answered:

I don’t see how any of the things which you mentioned, which were all operating on the audio-interface side of the bus, has any real impact on the CPU or bus loading of the PC the AI is connected to.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Why did I even bother answering. I should have known, you just knew better than me. You always know better. I wish I could be such a genius just for one day.

So, unable to answer then?

I see!

Good advice there!

Cheers,

Keith

I have the Clarett+ 8 Pre which is the Clarett version of this Scarlett device, and it works great. I would say get it.

1 Like

Hello, mike wit

I have the Behringer UMC404HD and it works correctly, in principle it will serve you for what you intend to do, although when you need to expand connectivity without having to frequently remove and install cables, you may be more interested in a Behringer UMC1820 or a Scarlet 18i8. its possibilities regarding connectivity to leave certain things connected permanently instead of removing and installing cables when you want to record.

The configuration that each one has in their “recording set” meets the particular needs each of us has, my set is neither modern nor high standing but it works well.

In my specific case, although I rarely need more than 3, 4 channels at a time due to my particular configuration, in the future I will expand to something like a UMC1820 or a Scarlet 18i8, to better take advantage of the connectivity I have and leave permanent connections, but that It is my specific case.

In short, a similar 4-channel UMC404HD or Scarlet or MOTU will serve you perfectly, but if later you need more connectivity you will fall short, so if you can buy a UMC1820 or a Scarlet 18i8 or 8i6 you may be more interested in the long term, it is something that you have to weigh in how you usually work when recording.

Greetings and good day to all.

Hello Mike, I forgot to say that I use Ubuntu studio 22.04 and the UMC404HD works perfectly on this system.

greetings

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.