Shared observations on ArdourVST

GMaq,
Before compiling ardour w/ VST, I would try to compile the standalone FST directory (git-cloned) as I believe Paul only uses a subset of FST, sync’ed to the latest code found in the FST git tree.

If FST compiles, then ardour VST will most likely compile, it’s a much shorter route in my opinion. Your error log looks like a missing windows.h header file (?) and if so, it is indeed a wine-dev package issue.

OK,

Well hmmm, Wine for Debian comes from the lamaresh repository which I’m certain has problems in it’s Wine-dev packages for sure since they fail to build Ardour with winegcc errors so perhaps there are problems on the runtime side as well. Wine-dev 1.0.1 will build Ardour just fine though

I can’t seem to find a current Wine stable (ie 1.1.10) for Debian…the stock repos are still old 1.0.1 and the dedicated WineHQ repo has the latest versions which I already described. So it may be that the lamaresh packages are at issue…wow what impeccable timing!

I’ll compile if I have to…but I really shouldn’t have to! I’m also using SVN 4803 which seems to have other VST issues as described in wolkes “vst trouble” thread.

ParisEQ-1.1, EQ31-1.1 and GVST Delay work here with svn4687 and wine-1.1.15 as well.
The only caveat is that if you remove a VST plugin and add another (or the same) Ardour freezes when you try to open it.

I suspect it’s pushing your luck a bit by adding plugins while running, but I had no problem adding both ClassicEQ, UniQ and DX Rev.
The first time I tried C-EQ I managed to get the transport to stop and not be able to start again by randomly clicking it to various points while running. When I restarted the session (Ardour didn’t freeze) I couldn’t make this happen again.

The bug I’ve seen, somewhat inexactly described earlier in this thread: if you’ve opened a VST GUI and then remove that plugin, if you then try to open another VST GUI either it’ll come up empty or Ardours GUI will freeze.

So, in short: don’t remove any inserted VST plugin that you’ve opened. If you still want to do that, save the session and restart Ardour before launching any other VST GUI.

peder,

I test by adding and removing (VST) plugins on various tracks while the transport is running…I figure that’s how it should work in the real world… I’m a little baffled by UniQ working on one system and not another. For comparisons sake I’m using Wine-1.1.17 from source and Ardour SVN 4841. Anyone tried the Kjaerhus “Classic” series yet. they used to be bulletproof and were a nice set except the reverb, I’ll test them again and report…they were not working on my previous setup.

Addendum:

Hey I can see all the plugin presets now! What kind of devilry is this!?

Kjaerhus Classic Chorus,Compressor,Delay,Phaser all working
GVST Delay, Electri-Q Poshifopit EQ, Blockfish all working
Kjaerhus Classic EQ kills transport and freezes Ardour
Ericsound UniQ will launch with transport stopped but Kills JACK when window is closed.

UniQ works fine (it even remembers different program settings as long as I don’t exit the session) here on A/V1r1 with self compiled wine-1.1.17 and ardour-svn4711 and 4839