RME HDSPe RayDAT

Hi,
does this card work on linux. I’d like to upgrade my studio set and I would like to buy this card and a new pc.
If not I would buy an old PCI RME HDSP 9652.
Thank you

@tartina: it works on Linux. you may need a newer version of the ALSA driver than some random Linux distribution may provide.

Thanks, Paul.
By the way, thanks for your great work on ardour.

Guido

I’m using a RayDAT on linux (64bit) with Ardour. There were several things that needed to happen to get everything to work properly.
The newest version of ALAS-Tools has a version of the HDSPmixer that will work with RayDAT PCIe. [I’m assuming you would want the PCIe version, you didn’t say]. However, that version of HDSPMixer required a kernel upgrade to at least 2.39. Also, you will need to make sure you are using the latest version of Jack in order to have the latency work out properly. Most distros have jackMP [aka Jack2] which may not have the latest latency fixes. I run the non-MP version [jack1 0.121.3], which (with Paul’s help) I was able to get functioning perfectly. Note, if you are running a debian linux (atp-get based, like Ubuntu) getting rid of Jack2 and installing Jack1 in it’s place was very painful for me as the package manager wants to remove everything that depends on Jack when you try to remove Jack2. I’m certain that there are people smarter that I am with that package manager that could tell you how to do it correctly. Most of my systems are yum based. I believe the jack2 to jack1 switch would be trivial on those flavor distros. All that said, it is possible to get it all working, and it works quite well. There are a few things with the HDSPMixer that are difficult to use in order to take advantage of the on-board low latency monitoring. That’s a topic for a different thread, but everything does function correctly, and I’ve found it very solid. That’s an expensive board, so you don’t want to buy one and not know it will work!
I built up this system specifically for Ardour-RayDAT about 6 months ago and would be happy to tell you about what I did and how it works if you are interested.
[EDIT… I just noticed your original post does specify the PCIe card format… sorry I didn’t see that before]

i’m purchasing a Raydat, i hope this one work properly at start and tuning for the best performance with ARDOUR

Hi, everybody.
I’ve been using using Ardour with rme raydat for some time and it works well, but I had to disable ASPM.
I don’t use HDSPmixer, I only use amixer for all configuration and RME matrix mixer setup, it’s a bit harder, but it works well. My distro is Fedora 17 x86_64, with ccrma repository added. Keep in mind that for amixer the 1st analogue channel is channel 4, I found this useful table in the source of the driver, which is valid for single ADAT channel (sample frequency up to 48KHz:

static char channel_map_raydat_ss[HDSPM_MAX_CHANNELS] = {
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, /* ADAT 1 /
12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, /
ADAT 2 /
20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, /
ADAT 3 /
28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, /
ADAT 4 /
0, 1, /
AES /
2, 3, /
SPDIF */
-1, -1, -1, -1,
-1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1,
};

Yes lhm100 ! I wouls like to know - please email me at augustineleudar@gmail.com