Plugins

This is the way to learn. I like it when people do communicate :slight_smile:

I have tis (same) made in zynaddsubfx and took many diferent bass sound presets.
But the nature of synthetic sound is that it has that “saw” resonant sound.
So when you cut it and let it again free,you hear this clicks.

I’ve tried side chaining with kick to duck synth (with sc3) and its working good for me.
And I’ll make some “real” miked “bass amp” ducking by kick sound. (have to export it from PT)
The one big true is that you can “mask” that click sound when you mix more tracks to
sum.
Unfortunately, side chaining isn’t so good solved in Ardour. Plug ins should be made to recognize
audio bus from ardour.

>> But the nature of synthetic sound is that it has that “saw” resonant sound.

So when you cut it and let it again free,you hear this clicks.

Sorry, but… no. It ducked only a few db to make some more room for the kick-drum and the bass-sound is a heavily LP-filtered one from an analogue synth. Attack and decay times aren’t to short and the knee is also “round”. There should be no “click”-sound.

hm…
what is your sound card?
i use Focusrite Saffire pro 40.
what is your de (you are on linux, right?) (gnome, kde, lxde…)?
Soon im going to make a “recorded” test-session of bas (direct in), kick, acoustic and some Darbuk.
Ill use small dell notebook and its firewire port, focusrite S40, 2 small condenser mics, one dynamic mic…
Then ill try ducking in Ardour with sc3
All this on:
-on A/V Linux 6.01
session will be in some drop box folder so anyone can try it
:slight_smile:

The sound adaptor is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. What has the de with sound artefacts to do? But I use IceWM for music sessions (Gnome 3 for normal work)

Thank you very much for your comments.

In the end I chose to use Jack-Rack instead of plugins, since I’m really confused about plugins now. In addition, Jack-Rack was already installed in my system, which made things easier for a newbie like me.

I don’t know if the effects in Jack-Rack are good or not, I have nothing to compare them with, but they did the job.
Has anybody used Jack-Rack with good results?

I never tried it, but on its webpage it is described as a plugin-container. It does not provide any effects by itself. You have to insert plugins. Of course you can do the same thing directly in Ardour… :wink:

Would it be ok to ask how I would install VSTs in OS X on a MacBook Pro? I am a newbie as well!

Put them in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST

But as I mentioned in the other thread, I strongly suggest AUs instead of VSTs. Similar install procedure and most AUs will probably have installers anyways.

Seablade

For Audio Units, put the plugin-name.component in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components if you want to install it system-wide e.g. for all users or ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components if you want to install it on a per-user basis.

Thanx guys…I found some cool AU plugins already…installing them now. :slight_smile:

I just tested the Invada compressor and distortion. Really, really nice! Unfortunately, the compressor does not offer sidechain-compression… Then it would be perfect…