...Optimise use of an M-Audio Delta 1010LT?

The extra CPU cycles from a faster processor(s) allow you to get more plugin processing done, not run with better latency. The extra memory helps with track count (a little - most of that comes down to the disk subsystem). And buying all the right components doesn’t help if when installed on the motherboard, they end up sharing a single interrupt. So there is quite a bit of subtlety to getting things to work right. There are a couple of companies that are thinking of making turnkey Linux DAW systems, where you don’t have to think about any of this. My feeling right now is that interest would be limited, but hey, what do I know?

For more resources for help, not distro specific check out the LAU mailinglist of linuxaudio.org

If you prefer an forum board, you can get a lot of help on www.linuxmusicians.com .
Check also the wiki: www.wiki.linuxmusicians.com

I recommend you to use 64Studio 3.0 (beta now). It has the best audio configuration AFAIK and it’s based on Ubuntu LTS, that mean an stable system with up to date audio packages!

www.64studio.com

Hey,

Pleasebeus, I followed your recommendation and things improved GREATLY!!!.. Running Jackd now on 128/2 and getting very few, if any Xruns. It definitely is more than OK for me now, running almost 0 latency and with the test I just did, I got one X run only when recording 17 tracks simultaneously all the way through a 6 minute song… So pretty sweet!!

Given that things seem to work now with my current installation, I think I will keep it the way it is.

Once again, thanks all for all your help and time, very much appreciated!

PS: Paul, the way you make it sound, I would have been better off buying a 286 machine!!! ;-)… Just kidding!

Actually, even though you are just kidding, on an old machine with an ISA bus instead of (or as well as) PCI, its possible to get single-sample latency (i.e. process samples one at a time)! You don’t tend to have much left over for DSP though :slight_smile:

I dropped by looking for some info and noticed that GodLikeCreature’s xrun problem might be that he hasn’t disabled on onboard audio board
lspci | grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
07:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller (rev 02)

I hope that’s the problem because it is a pretty easy fix. I’m running most of what he is with an Audiophile 2496 and have no such problem.