Noob needing help to change instrument

…Interesting…I’m also noob in some cases )). I have no such white boxes in my midi regions and don’t know how to activate (to show) them?

Wish I could help, but most things I am doing at the moment are by pure accident…
Here is the bit of the manual about it.
http://manual.ardour.org/working-with-midi/patch-change/

I think I got it (sometimes reading the manual is useful). When I add the flag (white rectangle) of patch change (from context menu MIDI>Insert Patch Change) - the dialog appears to set midi channel, bank & patch to the time you need to be changed. Super! You can wide your possibilities to change the patch to any midi channel through the timeline. From this side your 16 sounds to 1 track:

– can be expand up to infinity.
But really for production it’s the tool like you’re going to hunt the bird using the tank! )) Thanks!

hello all. I’m really bogged down in this. I’m new to everything linux and in particular ardour (6.9). Ubuntu studio 20.1 fully updated, upgraded and autoremoved. I can’t follow any of the above responses and I too just cannot change the sound in the patch selector. Got reasonable synth and fluid synth fully flying. I must say I’m not new to DAW’s. (cubase, Protools in windows and MAC). An imported MIDI file sorts all the GM sounds out okay even though I can only load itto one track- as yet. Regards. P.

I’m cracking this , as one does, by blindly poking around. Please ignore my post. However if anyone is interested in the outcomes of my blundering around, shout. regards. P.

1 Like

…umm, yes please!
In my case, Reasonable synth plays only a generic electric piano, no matter which patch is selected in the patch selector dialog…

Reasonable Synth is a “toy” that we provided some time in the past to make sure that you would hear something when using a MIDI track. Unless you decide it’s an interesting sound, it isn’t really intended to be used. If you want other sounds, you need to be using a different synth - the default is a General MIDI synth with a fairly OK set of sounds.

1 Like

Thanks for that, Paul. If I’d known that before I started I wouldn’t have thrown all my gear in the bay after being beaten up by Ardour. Seriously, Ardour is amazing, you’ve just got to be up to applying the degree of learning required to navigate it. kwok.ali, we’re brothers for life. We all now know that reasonable synth is just there to make a noise from the off. Get the make MIDI track dialog up ( I guess you’ve nearly worn that out) and make sure you’ve got the editor mixer up (view…). Name the track anything and drop the instrument box down. For now, select either a fluid synth orcalf fluid synth. Press GO. Then in the editor mixer you’ll see the selected synth in red- double click. By now you should have a .sf2 file somewhere on your machine, there’s squillions on the web. It’s obvious where to click next, the clue is “soundfont”. open it up and navigate to where your .sf2 is and select. In the same picture you’ll see all the tracks mentioned. Click on the first one and you’ll get a 127 instrument drop down. Click and GO. voila, Asi, wow. What I haven’t said is, now I can get noise out of something , getting some meaningful creation is my next dilemma. Thanks to Paul and good luck to kwok. Regards. P

Yes, thanks to both of you!
Paul, for developing this (KING shit!) AND still being available here for responding to kind of helpless comments like mine ;o]
…and JingleToots for being a step ahead of me!

Paul, I realised that for some reason the gmsynth.lv2 library was missing from my installation (Manjaro repo - I know, I know, don’t trust the repo versions but distros’ repos are part if my insanity).
It was as simple to fix as copying it over from another installation on the same dual boot machine, and worked just like that.

Thanks again!!
Ali C