No back up after crash

Im really a great fan of ardour, but AGAIN, i had the problem that ardour restored a session after a crash after the last MANUALLY SAVE OR after Closing the Session, THERE WAS NO RESTAURATION Of the backup session which ardour is supposed to do every 120 SECONDS!!!
THIS IS THE REASON why im not willing to pay more for the ardour, because i have the feeling, it is still in a testing phase; IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO START A BACK UP SESSION which was, as in .CONFIG (PERIODIC SAFE) indicated, automatically saved;
THANK YOU THAT I LOST AGAIN 3 HOURS OF WORK!!!
radiojo

Two things…

1. What version are you on?

2. Did you check the backups folder? Going off memory the automatic backup sessions get stored into ./backups in the session folder IIRC.

Seablade

That is Mixbus, not Ardour. Ardour does not do any automatic backups nor auto-saves the session at all. Save is a user-initiated operation. Ardour does however save periodic crash-recovery files.

Ahha my fault then. I spend more time in Mixbus these days, so it can be hard for me to keep the differences straight. Thanks for the correction.

Seablade

thank you anyhow, i was a little upset, sorry;

I DONT UNDERSTAND, why ardour does not do automatic backups from which you can restart a session; “Perdiodic crash recovery files” - i only can say, SOMETIMES THEY WORK, SOMETIMES THEY DONT!!

I think that ardour could improve concerning session backups …
THANKS ANYHOW
Radiojo

“Ardour does not do any automatic backups nor auto-saves the session at all. Save is a user-initiated operation. Ardour does however save periodic crash-recovery files”

and for sure i will pay again for ardour … :slight_smile:

I know that this wont help you much now that corruption already happened, but after I had some important Pro Tools session files corrupted in the past I started to save my work in every now and then to sessions named: session-01 . session-02 session-03 . and so forth. This way I have a backup before every major change I make in the session.

I’m still doing the same with Ardour. This has saved me a couple of times not because Ardour messed up anything but I messed up my session myself (moved a couple of clips out of sync, etc) and did not notice. I recommend this workflow to everybody to save them from themselves :slight_smile:

Was there a specific operation that you performed that caused the crash? Any plugins?

Some related thread here: