New to Ardour & Linux - which linux installation to choose?

@evalon: “which computer configuration”
The experiment was on a Tyan dual Opteron workstation. Pretty old and slow by modern standards, but very stable. Two dual core 1.8GHz processors, 16GB RAM. Not running a -RT patched kernel, but there were so many errors that wouldn’t help until the errors were down into the just occasional category.
If I get a chance this weekend I may try again but with something more reasonable, like jackd running at 384k or 192k and zita-a2j resampling to 96k. Just to make sure the jackd configuration with dummy backend works correctly at all before going to such a high sample rate.

“What I’ve been thinking is that a feasible way to do this could be to load and edit the .wav files into Ardour, and then again save the file as a 1.536 MHz file - or as a 384 kHz file (if this is possible).”

Ardour always works at a single sample rate, so to end up with a 384k file it would create the output file at the same sample rate as all the session source files, then run a script after to generate a lower sample rate copy.
But, without hardware running at 1.536M you would be working without being able to hear what you are doing. Not sure what the point of using a DAW is if you can’t listen to your work, you might as well use SoX and just do everything offline. That said, I think what you proposed could work. I’ll also see if I can try that this weekend, I generated three 1 minute long source files at 1,536,000 sample rate using SoX and loaded them into ARdour, I will see if export works, then use off line sample rate conversion to convert the generated output file back to base rate.
My original attempt was with no plugins active, just three mono channels connected to a stereo main bus. I would think that assuming any plugins you want to use can calculate parameters for such a high sample rate, the processor utilization is going to be very high.

“I’ve inquired with the main programmer helping here about ALSA and ASIO and he is not immediately familiar with this”
That is in direct conflict with your earlier statement:
“a programmer which I understand has some experience also with audio devices.”
" have previously been employed with a major audio company making e.g. soundcards and sound processors"

ALSA is the only Linux audio API in current use, and ASIO has been used by every professional multi-channel sound card on Windows since at least the mid or late '90’s. Anyone not familiar with ALSA has never worked on audio programming on Linux, and anyone not familiar with ASIO has never worked on professional multi-channel audio on Windows. The fact that the “main” programmer does not have expertise in the problem domain should throw up some red flags regarding how quickly you could expect to have working and stable drivers.

“saving the files to a .wav format (or if there is a better format?) and loading them from there”

ALSA and ASIO are a layer lower than that. Those two API’s are different ways of describing how the software which reads data from a wav file then presents that data to the audio hardware, or how to retrieve audio data from the hardware so it can be saved to a wav file. The ALSA or ASIO driver runs as part of the OS kernel, and implements the appropriate API for use by software such as Ardour, and has the required logic to copy the data to and from the hardware. The programmer needs to understand the hardware, kernel driver programming, and have a list of required functions to implement the API. None of those tasks individually is difficult for an experienced programmer, but there is a learning curve involved.

Had time to try out my suggested setup but with different sample rates. I verified that jackd running the dummy backend at 192k sample rate, with zita-j2a converting to 48k works correctly. I made a session with three imported test files, and could mix them together and play back with the hardware running at 48k and the session running at 192k. Using a session with the same setup, i.e. three imported mono files being mixed together to a stereo master bus, DSP utilization was about 17%. So the setup works in principle, I just can’t get it to work on my system with the dummy backend running at 1536k sample rate and the hardware running at 48k or 96k sample rate.

The other experiment confirming that Ardour can run at 1536k sample rate was almost but not quite so successful. I created the same style session, with three imported files (the files in all cases were just 1 minute sine wave files generated with sox), but this time no zita-j2a running, so Ardour just connected to the jack dummy output. The session loaded OK, and when I hit play it looked like the session was running, although of course there was no audio output to verify in this case since only the jackd dummy backend was running.

However, when I tried to export using “session sample rate” the export went much slower than real time, and when I checked the output file with sndfile-info it showed the exported file as having 192k sample rate. I did not see any messages about sample rate conversion, so I’m not sure what triggered the conversion to 192k. Perhaps the export routine has a limit on the maximum sample rate considered valid.

But, all it not lost because of the flexibility provided by the jack infrastructure. I played the session again, and this time used jack_capture to record in real time directly from the master bus to a file. That file was confirmed by sndfile-info as having a sample rate of 1536k. I used sndfile-resample to convert back to 48k for listening, and it sounded like what I expected, and Jack/Alsa Audio Analyzer did not show any IMD or harmonic distortion when connected to the 1536k jackd output, just the three frequencies from the sine input files.

So the main Ardour editor and mixer functionality seems to work fine at stupid high sample rates, but the export feature won’t quite work. Export is nice because it runs faster than real time, and will just output the session audio, so you don’t have to worry about starting and stopping another program that might add blank audio at the beginning and end that you didn’t want.

As an aside, don’t try recording the output with jackrec. I don’t know why, but but the result was horribly distorted. The recorded file from jackrec was less than half the file size as the output recorded by jack_capture, so something went very wrong. Using jack_capture is pretty easy, so at least there is a real time work around for the export not allowing high sample rates. Might be a simple patch if you want to build a version which doesn’t limit the exported sample rate after you have real hardware working at that rate.

Hi ccaudle … This is just a quick message to say that I’m currently doing some hardware design and need to be quite focussed on this. So I’ve read what you write & will get back when time (and the Ardour installation) permits.

Cheers & a good day to you :wink:

Jesper

I’m new to Linux and having trying quite a few distros. I’ve settled on Linux Mint (18) and Ardour is working a treat with my Steinberg UR22 interface. I did try to run Ardour in Elementary, but no luck. The version of Ardour in Elementary was gray, so perhaps an older release(?).
I’m also using Calf plug-ins which are working fine as well.
Goodbye Logic Pro & Ableton Live.

Oops, it should read I have been trying a few distros…