Mute not working, v. 2.8.12; .rc file appears correct

my firewire driver is not present

BTW the jackd -d alsa option won’t work with your firewire interface. You need to use -d freebob instead IIRC (not sure which other options work with that as I’ve never used a firewire audio interface). If qjackctl works, use the same command line options that qjackctl is using.

not -d freebob … freebob is very old. -d firewire is the correct backend name for firewire devices.

Note also that current versions of ALSA now have native support for Firewire audio devices, although this is still pretty new and experimental. Unless you use a bleeding edge distribution or build your own Linux kernels, you probably don’t have this.

Hmmm… okay, I’ll check this out. But why am I able to run Qjackctl to start jack and open Ardour 2.8.12 with no problem, but the same process doesn’t work with 3.05.43? That suggests the issue is not with jack but with some interaction between jack and 3.05.43. When I opened 3 for the first time and defined drivers and frame rates and such, the firewire driver was not present as an option, which makes me think I need to tweak something in 3, not jack2.

Additional data:

I uninstalled A 3.05.43, rebooted, and reinstalled. Same problems exist - starting jack from Qjackctl does not allow A 3.05.43 to define RT permissions and such. BUT - calling jack from the terminal as

jackd -v -R -d firewire -r44100 -p

allows me to open A 3, complete with firewire option in the track input, and the input from the mic is correctly captured and processed through the track-bus-master chain. Not attempted any actual session yet, but I don’t think anything will break; this seemed to be the sticking point. Has anyone else reported a conflict between Qjackctl and A 3??

BTW - do I need an option for the ‘-p’ flag??

Thanks!

not -d freebob … freebob is very old. -d firewire is the correct backend name for firewire devices.

Thanks for the correction. The current manpage (for jack2 anyway) still omits that from the list of supported backends near the start of the page - if I’d read further down I’d have seen it.