Multichannel audio interface for Linux

I just switched to a (much smaller) MOTU M4 on my desktop after the sudden death of my old M-Audio Pro and have had no problems so far. Class compliance seems to get the job done.

On the Zoom, there is a switch on the back which puts it in “class compliant mode” which you can enable before you switch it on and then Linux can drive it fine. Also, you don’t need Jack, ALSA just works.

Thank you @MartinBruset. @Cleinias, I have read somewhere that Motu M4 was
not compatible with Linux; from your message I read a (fortunate) different
info. Which Linux OS you use? Do all in/out channels work perfectly: no
glitch or other problem?
@Anahata I didn’t understand what you said: does AVB work or not with
Linux? I’ve been reading conflicting reports regarding that unit. Can we
access all output from Linux software: Ardour, Audacity, Reaper, Bitwig…?
Thank you.
Best regards

The MOTU Ultralite AVB works on Linux BUT there is generally a bug that mixes up the input channels in groups of 8 (so channel 5 may end up as channel 13 or 21). This is a bug in the AVB firmware and there are versions where it is present and versions where it is not. Since the device uses a web server for configuration, Linux users have complete access to every feature of the device (any browser, even a phone one, can be used).

I wouldn’t recommend buying a MOTU Ultralite AVB (newer ESS model or older one), since it has many issues that make it hard to work with reliably with Linux.
Mine is kinda working atm but i had to stay on firmware 1.2.8+378 (from 2016 iirc). Even then, it sometimes makes a slow decimated fade-out to oblivion after being powered up for 3 weeks. It emits very loud clicks on startup.
Very good interface with Windows nonetheless, and very good little standalone mixer if you can access it via network.
Do not buy it. Or do it at your own risks after having read this infamous 44 pages long thread about it : Ultralite AVB - Page 44 - LinuxMusicians

Thank you @baptiste.
Best regards
Marcelo

Presonus Studio Project works ok. It uses firewire

Unfortunately, as far as I know, no new laptop comes with firewire anymore.
I still have an old macbookpro with firewire 800, but that seems to have
been the last model.
For electroacoustic music live sound difusion or djing, firewire audio
interfaces are not viable anymore.
Happy new year for you all.
Best regards
Marcelo

There are Thunderbolt to FireWire adapters however if you have an old firewire interface laying around and a computer with thunderbolt. I haven’t used one in some time, but I did use them for some time with some Focusrite DSP interfaces I had at the university I teach at with good success. Doesn’t change the point that firewire as an interface is dying/dead quickly though.

Seablade

I bought few days ago M-audio Air 192|14, works as a charm in my Kubuntu, I can record 8 channels at once in Ardour. It was used in my last cover for recording vocals: Ajattara - Harhojen Renki - cover - YouTube

The big advantage of this device is (imho) controlling it by physical knobs and switches, so you don’t need any extra software for enabling or tweaking any extra features. It is also class-compilant (no drivers required), and has external power supply so it can be used even without a computer, for mixing only - the recording is not possible then.

bye!

Thats sad that firewire is not produced. it was much better then usb - FireWire S3200 - 3.145728 Gbit/s - 2008 year . I can connect my 3 firestudio project interfaces in one socket - 24ch analog + 6 digital