MIDI keyboard in Ardour for Linux not recognized

There my keyboard CP33 is listed:

When I connect it, Ardour reacts on keystrokes (my keyboard is visible in Ardour).
Now I have to figure out how I can also produce sound.

In the jack settings try changing the period buffer to 3 from 2 see if that helps.

Your MIDI driver (MIDI-Treiber) is set to ā€œkeinerā€ which if Google translate is correct is ā€œnoneā€ in English. In other words, no MIDI.
You either need to pick the ALSA Sequencer driver for jackd, or keep the no driver (keiner) selection and run ā€œa2jmidid -eā€ as a separate program.
As mentioned in the Ardour manual MIDI on Linux chapter, running a2jmidid -e from the Options tab of QJackCtl is usually the most convenient.

1 Like

It seems to work now. I have set the Jack settings to MIDI driver seq (raw seems to work as well) and I run a2jmidid -e. The whole situation looks like this in Ardour:

Still different than in the Macbook.

Thanks a lot to all who contributed here.

Only one, never both together. That is why you have an entry for CP33 and also an entry for a2j:CP33.

To quote from the Ardour manual MIDI on Linux chapter again:
" Using a2jmidid acts as a bridge between ALSA MIDI and JACK. The -X seq or -X raw arguments should not be usedā€”the timing and performance of these options is unacceptable."

The -X seq or -X raw command line argument described are what are set by the QJackCtl MIDI-Driver selection box.

I choose to only use a2jmidid -e, since I read that this is a better option than the ā€˜rawā€™ or ā€˜seqā€™ in terms of latency.
Thank you for pointing this out.

Just for completeness, in case someone else finds this post later:
I checked on the jackd forum and the timing concern with jackd v2 was corrected in version 1.9.13. The Ardour manual is outdated in that regard, and I expect the manual to be updated in the future to reflect that.

1 Like

Pull request time! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think I will work on that this week. Any quick pointers on how to make a pull request? Does that mean I need to first clone the manual git project onto an accessible server, make the mod, then send a pull request back to the original project?
Seems a lot more convoluted than just emailing a patch file. :stuck_out_tongue:

OK, I have a fork on github, Iā€™ll make some changes and see if I can figure out how to make a pull request after that.
Any thoughts on what to do with the existing information? Split into ā€œjack 2 1.9.12 and earlierā€ and ā€œjack 2 1.9.13 and laterā€ sections, move the existing jack2 section into a ā€œhistorical interestā€ type section, just get rid of the current jack v2 info since 1.9.13 has been out for 3 years now?

BTW, just noticed one of the Ardour web pages still links to freenode instead of liberachat. Is the web site also on git?

Yep, which web page?

Seablade

Or on Github you can fork it to yourself, and edit the page in github quite easily, and submit a pull request like that. That is what I tend to do for quick and dirty edits to the manual for instance.

Seablade

The page from the ā€œSupportā€ link at the top of the main web page.
outdated Ardour chat link to freenode

I could not find the web site source, it isnā€™t on the github mirror with the main program and manual.

After some discussion on IRC the changes are a little more extensive than I originally thought (will end up remove a page or two), so I will modify my github fork and submit a pull request.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.