M-Audio M-Track MK2 on Linux

Hi All,
I’m a newbie to Ardour, have previously been using a Tascam 2400 for recording but have made the jump to Ardour after reading many a good review. Not new to Linux - its my OS of choice.

Apologies in advance if this question is in the wrong location, and mods please feel free to move it if that’s the case :).

I’ve been having delay issues going from a 16ch yamaha mixer into the LineIn on my soundcard. Ardour has happily picked up the line in via ALSA, and audio of good quality, bar the delay. I’m looking at perhaps moving to a USB interface such as the m-audio M-Track MkII and was curious if any others have had success using one of these on a linux platform with Ardour.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Pete

I have an older generation M-Audio M-Track Plus, and it works perfectly on Linux. They are pretty inexpensive if you can find a used one.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/m-track-plus

Hi Pete,

I’m new to Ardour myself. I’m struggling with USB interfaces (Not M-TRACK), but you might want to try JACK with your internal soundcard first.
Depending on your hardware I think you can get pretty good latency using JACK.

No experience with m audio,
I use a Steinberg UR22, it is picked up right away using Ardour
via jack, on Elementary Linux and Ubuntu Studio with the Kxs repos which include Ardour
jack, cadence and many more packages.
The unit is also usb powered, so no need for external power supply, and the unit can work
without a computer, just supply power into the usb socket, plug in a mic, and take an output
to your powered speakers, or through an amp to non powered speakers.

There are many USB2 audio interfaces that “just work” with Linux these days, mostly thanks to Apple and their policy with the iPad - no drivers allowed, so any device that is supposed to be usable with an iPad must be fully compliant with the USB audio device specification. This has the side effect that they also work with Linux too.

If the device doesn’t require drivers on OS X/MacOS or is advertised as working with an iPad, there’s about a 95% chance that it will just work on Linux.

The delay issue you’re talking about is very, very unlikely to be related to your device, but is instead a reflection of the buffer size you are choosing to use.